Siemens is looking for a summer intern to support the development of a software platform to support penetration testing in industrial environments. In this position, you will work with an already existing set of security testing tools, and create a tool environment, where all tools are pre-configured as needed, able to be run in a way that test plans can be executed easily, and where results are collected for reporting. You will also support enhancing tools and methods for social engineering-based security testing. This project is part of a larger cybersecurity research project.
During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research and be part of a world class team. An internship with Siemens Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment. Specifically, this internship provides an opportunity to learn about strategies to conduct advanced security testing in industrial environment / Operations Technology (OT) networks, as typically found in manufacturing plants, energy utility networks, building automation networks, and other areas that form nations’ critical infrastructure. You will get exposed to state-of-the-art software development and deployment frameworks in order to develop robust and scalable deployment scenarios.
This internship to be on site in our lab in Princeton, NJ.
- Develop a playbook for executing typical steps in an industrial penetration test using a set of available commercial and Siemens proprietary tools
- Build an integrated test server environment, allowing to use multiple testing tools in parallel and combined to facilitate a number of test cases
- Set up a virtual server including CI/CD pipeline to allow for quick ramping up and ramping down of vanilla pentest environments
- Streamline social engineering approach and tool chain to reduce efforts to mount complex social engineering campaigns as part of security testing (e.g., phishing)
- Support pentesting projects (if suitable projects exist)
- Document and present results
Qualified candidates will have/be:
- A current student pursuing a MSc degree in Cybersecurity / IT-Security, Computer Science / Computer Engineering, or other related subject with a focus on Cybersecurity. Please note, you must still be enrolled as a student during the internship period to qualify for the position.
- Previous experience in (IT or OT) penetration testing required, as is the ability to understand, find, verify, and explain security vulnerabilities.
- Technical and hands-on knowledge in current attack methods, penetration testing methods, and hacking tools required.
- Proficiency in a scripting language like Python, PowerShell, LUA, or Bash.
- GPEN, GWAPT, GXPN, OSCP, OSCE, CEH, CCNP, and CCSP are a plus but not required.
- Winning a CTF, being awarded a CVE, or any other track record of success in the security community is a significant plus.
- High work ethics and sense of ownership for the delivered results
- Good communication skills in English required
- This position requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption
A successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our customers, businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Student (Not Yet Graduated)
Job Type: Full-Time temporary
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.