The Communication system engineer will integrate the system into Siemens vehicles that interacts with the wayside and onboard systems of light rail vehicles, coaches and locomotives.
The system engineer is responsible for hardware integration, software integration, EMI/EMC considerations, testing, participates in vendor evaluation and selection, vendor deliverables, commissioning, and trouble-shooting support.
- The responsibilities of this position include the concept, design, specification, integration, interface, compatibility, verification, and evaluation in support of extremely complex mechanical, electro-mechanical, and/or electrical components or systems.
- Evaluates and approves the technical capabilities and physical properties of system suppliers and the content of their proposals, type tests, production documents, software, and manuals.
- Analyzes and approves the engineering products, software, and/or equipment specifications and performance to determine and verify functionality of the physical and functional interfaces.
- Participates with suppliers, purchasing, quality, production, and project management regarding scheduling and system costs per contract.
- Participates with purchasing, customer service, and quality in supplier master purchase agreements.
- Participates in Strategic Supply Management with Purchasing and Quality.
- Reviews and supports design packages within the system responsibilities, providing detailed design reviews and support for vehicle mock-ups and swap compatibility tests.
- Validates and/or conducts specified analyses or tests and makes recommendations for the development of new designs, methods, changes, or processes for the relevant system.
- Supports and validates initial installation, system compliance and testing within their specialty field.
- Writes detailed system specifications and scope of supply documents for supplier quotations and evaluates supplier offers with respect to technical requirements.
- Prepares system descriptions and test procedures.
- Reviews and approves vendor drawings, schematics, type test procedures, reports, and manuals prior to release.
- Ensure identification of project interfaces among subsystems and external interfaces according to project scope of work
- Prepares formal presentations and participates in estimating and evaluating costs for proposals and contracts.
- Prepares CDRL documentation and design review documentation to be presented for end customers in Design Reviews
- Prepare bid proposals within the system responsibilities
- Review customer Specifications from its system responsibilities
- Review new technology and continuously enhance the system capabilities to be cutting edge
- Interfaces with on-board and wayside systems
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree.
- At least 2 years of Systems Engineering, Software and Network Experience
- Signal and Systems Architecture
- RF experience
- Previous experience with IP based Passenger Information Systems, Signage, CCTV.
- Previous experience with GPS, Radio, CAD/AVL and WiFi/LTE Systems
- Previous experience with Word/Excel/Powerpoint/VISIO, schematics tools and Requirements tools like DOORS
- At least 2 years of experience in Rail/Aerospace Industry (wayside or vehicle side)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work with multiple team members, management, vendors and internal/external customers.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel and simultaneously manage several urgent topics.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Rail industry experience is preferred. Aerospace industry also a plus.
- Wayside – IT Infrastructure also a plus
- Commissioning and testing experience is a plus.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering is a plus.