Siemens Mobility are recruiting for a high calibre Senior Electrical Design Engineer for our Rail Electrification business. The Senior Design Engineer, with a wide range of experience in High Voltage Substation Design, will be responsible for the production, development, delivery and innovation of substation designs on exciting major UK projects.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
Based out of our offices in York and working with the Principal Engineer, the Senior Design Engineer will deliver consistent high-quality designs which safely implement rail traction power distribution solutions to the customer’s specifications, agreed timescales and budgets. In addition, you will support the creation of the programmes of work for their respective projects and will either be able to demonstrate working towards or have previously undertaken the Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) role.
In the role you will be a main point of contact for our client / customers and shall use excellent communication skills to positively manage and influence their expectations. You will also be required to manage the design and collaborate with other teams, ensuring a coherent design approach whilst taking into account both the clients and Siemen’s quality and safety policies.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Responsible for advising design engineers on their works and supporting them in providing an outstanding service to the construction teams / clients.
- Preparing, checking and delivering design documentation to timescales and authorised budgets.
- Contribute to the development of tenders and offers, and the change management process on designated projects.
- Maintain technical and safety standards in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Ensure that Siemens quality control processes are followed and that designs being presented to clients meet the safety policies, industry standards and best practices of both Siemens and the rail industry.
- Manage inter-disciplinary designs (Civils, LV, SCADA, P&C, Telecoms etc.) for substations sites.
- Identify, review and report on project-based risks, ensuring appropriate actions / mitigations are taken.
- Undertake lessons learnt exercises, providing opportunities for innovation and value for money to our clients.
- Maintain and develop own professional knowledge and competence, and that of both experienced and junior Engineers.
- Provide support and guidance to Project Manager and Project Engineers on projects.
- Create programmes, report on the progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met.
- Have a sound understanding and capability to discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation and follow Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Undertake the role of Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as advised.
- Support problem solving and site engineering when required.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- Experience of producing detailed High Voltage Substation designs for the Railway.
- An Engineering Degree or HND/HNC (minimum) in a relevant subject area.
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
- A good working knowledge of appropriate Railway and associated discipline standards.
- A wide variety of experience in the design and implementation of rail traction power systems with a proven track record of delivering good quality designs.
- Practical experience of the operational requirements of railway construction works.
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
- Demonstrable experience of interfacing directly with clients and in representing a company to external parties.
- Understanding of task, time and people management.
- Working towards a Professional Engineering status, Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
- Holder of Personal Track Safety card.
- Railway protection, traction power system design, SCADA, distribution or substation project/site engineer experience.
- Previous experience / exposure to working with a TNO / DNO in the provision of an upgraded / new traction supply point.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time