At Siemens Mobility we live and nurture an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed.
As part of Siemens Mobility, the Rolling Stock Division (RS) employs approximately 1200 employees in Sacramento, CA and is part of the Siemens Mobility global Rail Systems Division.
The RS product offerings include light rail vehicles, electric and diesel-electric locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trains. Core manufacturing processes include extensive car shell welding activities, bogie fabrication and assembly, electrical subassembly, finishing and paint, and final assembly. The logistics group manages all purchased and made materials supporting these manufacturing processes.
As a Logistics Industrial Engineering Intern your primary responsibility will be to drive the continuous improvement of safety, schedule, and cost savings through the use of Lean Manufacturing principles both in the warehouse and production floor. Working with the production core team members, you will lead the team in technical problem solving for topics including standard and non-standard work, tooling, material flow, safety, engineering drawings and BOMs, and process improvements.
This internship has the potential to lead into a full-time opportunity upon graduation.
- Defining key production work steps, sequences, and durations to optimize logistics processes to support production needs
- Preparing future production/warehouse floor layouts to meet planned volume and production requirements. Setting up work areas with proper processes, documentation, tooling, and equipment
- Development of detailed specifications for tools and equipment for logistics and manufacturing processes using takt time, capacity calculations, engineering product design, and sourcing from vendors.
- Leading logistics improvements, complex process changes, and technology changes including developing a core team, assigning / reporting to a steering committee, projecting efforts involved with implementation, and identifying impacts by generating and presenting ROI calculations.
- Creating and reporting key performance indicators for current and future processes
Internship Start Date: As soon as possible 3-9 months. Preferably 40 hours/week
- This position requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
- Overall Cumulative GPA: 3.0 preferred but may consider 2.7 and above
- Education: Current rising junior or senior undergraduate students pursuing a BA/BS from an accredited technical school, college or university
- Majors: Industrial/System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or relatable degree.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week
- Knowledge and/or experience with utilizing industrial engineering methods and tools
- Firm project management skills, including developing project plans, timelines / schedules, budgets, proposed layouts, resource requirements, calculating ROI, etc.
- Experience manufacturing or warehouse environment in a low speed production environment (e.g. rail, aviation/aerospace, naval, heavy equipment, etc.).
- Knowledge of SAP or similar MRP / ERP systems is highly desired.
- One or more certification (or equivalent coursework) in the following fields- Six Sigma Black Belt, Lean Certification, OSHA Safety, Certified Manufacturing engineer, Supply Management, EIT, or Professional Engineering License
- Bi-lingual in German and/or Spanish.
Our Culture: At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company's success. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, direct their teams, and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Student (Not Yet Graduated)
Job Type: Full-Time temporary
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.