Siemens is seeking a commercial counsel to join its Siemens Industry, Inc., Smart Infrastructure Legal Team. The position will report to the Lead Counsel of the Siemens Regional Solutions and Services Americas business unit (RSS-RAM). RSS provides Solutions and Services for HVAC, Fire and Security Systems for commercial buildings, hospitals and many other facilities. RSS offers new solutions with the use of software to create Smart Buildings and brings Digital Services technology to its customers. This position will provide support across the RSS business operations with respect to various contracts, financing, vendor and subcontract agreements, state procurement statutes, compliance and regulatory matters. This person will possess a strong background in construction transactions, financing documents, commercial transactions, regulatory transactions and government contracts. Responsibilities will include reviewing, negotiating and drafting various types of commercial agreements in many diverse subject areas, as well as providing strategic guidance, training, model template creation, department policy development and general legal support as may be required from the business and legal team. This position is preferred to be based in the Chicago, Illinois area but may be based outside of Illinois.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide strategic, commercial and corporate legal support at all levels of commercial transactions (public and private) including internal reorganizations;
- Independently draft and negotiate large and complicated commercial agreements (Construction Contracts, Performance Contracts, Financing arrangements and Renewable energy projects, etc.);
- Create and update model and template documents to maintain conformity with controlled intra-group policies and internal regulations;
- Train, educate and provide legal support to business partners and key stakeholders on various topics and issues (i.e. contract terms and conditions, subcontracts, procurement rules other regulatory or compliance issues);
- Collaborate and coordinate across departments and throughout a large group of affiliated companies;
- Counsel on post-transaction related issues;
- Other functions and responsibilities as determined by the needs of the Corporate Legal Team.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, strong executive presence and ability to work across organizational lines and various operations;
- Familiarity with commercial and governmental construction transactions;
- Extremely adept at balancing critical legal oversight and risk mitigation strategies with the need for practical, business-oriented and efficient solutions;
- Exemplary ability to independently lead and execute all phases of challenging corporate, commercial, governance and transactional engagements — from preliminary/conceptual advice, structuring through implementation, due diligence, negotiating, drafting, closing, and any post-closing conflict resolution;
- Very positive and friendly demeanor with a dynamic work ethic who is driven by performance excellence and ownership culture, and who has the people skills to thrive in a matrixed organization;
- Comfortable dealing with exceedingly tight deadlines in a high-volume, fast-paced and constantly evolving work environment;
- Effective negotiation, communication and drafting skills, including those suitable for interaction with senior managers and executives;
- Experience counseling non-U.S. clients as well as U.S. affiliates of a foreign company;
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills, along with high character and personal integrity;
- Proven ability to initiate and follow-up on actions with minimal supervision;
- Strong stakeholder focus and business acumen;
- Highly flexible with a willingness to learn new skills and take on new responsibilities; and
- Willingness to travel occasionally (10% - 15%).
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school;
- At least 6 years of experience involving complex, international, strategic commercial transactions with a law firm or comparable in-house corporate experience;
- Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons.
- Admitted to practice law in Illinois (as appropriate) (or the ability to promptly obtain an appropriate In-House Counsel license within one (1) year of employment);
- Experience working in the legal department of a large, multinational corporation strongly preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills (written and verbal) required;
- Negotiation abilities a must;
- Highly proficient technical skills in MS Office Suite; and
- Team player who can also work independently while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
Why you’ll love working at Siemens!
* Competitive compensation (salary and bonus) based on qualifications
* Medical, dental, prescription and vision coverage, first day of employment
* Ability to work remote
* Matching 401(k) (immediate employer match)
* Flexible paid time off plan, paid holidays, and floating holidays
* Career development opportunities
* Education and tuition reimbursement programs available
* Paid parental leave
Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization
Organization: Legal and Compliance
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.