A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Specialist Engineer to join Telecoms Design Team within the Siemens Rail Infrastructure CIS business in Glasgow.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
The Rail Infrastructure CIS business supplies SCADA control systems as well as operational telecoms and secure network equipment, alongside other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. We have earned a respected reputation within the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering great outcomes to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail technology such as Rail Electrification Control, Advanced Station Management Systems, Automation and Analytics, ETCS and Low Cost Digital Modular Signalling, so this is a phenomenal time to join the business in the development of new, exciting technologies!
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
Reporting to the Design Manager (Telecoms), the Specialist Engineer undertakes the day-to-day responsibility for management and delivery of the engineering aspects of Telecoms tenders and designs within agreed timescales and budgeted costs and is responsible for its contribution to overall business performance.
What are my responsibilities?
- Delivery of Telecoms engineering activities to the agreed time, cost, quality and performance requirements for large multidisciplinary projects.
- Perform the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) and lead the Telecoms project engineering team to deliver engineering tasks in system development and implementation, including sub-contractors where applicable.
- Responsible for technical lead in safety related system design and implementation within project engineering.
- Responsible for managing engineering risk elements of Telecoms projects.
- Responsible for managing engineering aspects of contract requirements for Telecoms projects.
- Produce Telecoms engineering technical and Health and Safety documentation deliverables to meet project requirements.
- Plan, co-ordinate, lead and manage Telecoms engineering team tasks including resources and equipment in order to deliver effectively and efficiently.
- Lead the provision of estimating for engineering projects and tenders with regard to engineering resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Complete personal and business objectives agreed during GROWTH talks (team development during 1-2-1s).
- Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle.
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered in accordance with Siemens Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements.
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered and undertaken in accordance with customer Health and Safety procedures and requirements within main line rail, light rail and mass transit environments.
What experience do I need to apply for this role?
- Proven experience in CRE role for Safety Related Telecoms and Operational Telecoms projects.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to manage delivery/development and implementation project tasks within the Main Line, Mass Transit and Light Rail environment.
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of Telecoms engineers for effective design and delivery of telecommunications systems as well as leading and developing their team to reach the individual’s full personal potential (coaching skills desired but not essential).
- Strong experience and knowledge of implementation project engineering processes covering development, design, construction, test, commissioning and handover.
- Strong understanding and experience of Safety Critical and Safety Related activities in the rail environment.
- Proven experience of leading delivery of Operational Telecommunications systems engineering activities in the rail environment.
- System knowledge of:
- Copper Cable
- Optical Fibre Cable
- Lineside Cable Route
- Transmission SDH and PDH
- Network switches and routers
- Modem Systems
- Immunisation Systems
- Signal Post Telephone Concentrator Systems
- PABX Telephony systems
- Voice Over IP
- Lineside Telephony
- Public Emergency Telephone System (PETS)
- Cab Secure Radio
- Charger and Battery Power Supplies (PSU/UPS)
- Rail Signalling System Circuits
- Earthing Systems
- Full UK Driving licence.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time