As a Power Systems Software Engineer with Siemens Grid Software, you will join the team that maintains and enhances our PSS®E product. You will be responsible for maintaining and developing new analysis and modeling components of the PSS® software platform along with other product team members. This position requires detailed knowledge of power systems algorithms specifically as well as broad experience with mathematical programming, software engineering, test plans, test implementation, and software delivery. The ideal candidate for this position has knowledge and skills for both Power Systems Engineering and Computer Science.
- Creation of mathematical algorithms for power systems simulation. This includes engineering design of power systems models as well as implementation and testing. Implementation will most likely be done in Fortran but the candidate is expected to have the ability to adapt if another programming language is chosen. Design ranges from a symbolic algebra to algorithm to documenting the model.
- Apply knowledge of object-oriented programming, functional programming, and other techniques to accelerate the process of modeling power systems simulations.
- Work with the PTI software development team on designing, developing, and testing and documenting the software.
- Maintain and develop components of the PTI PSS® software platform under the direction of the product manager and product owner.
- Create robust tests to assess performance, correctness and usability of the software.
- Provide estimates and analysis of tasks required for development, and actively participate in development status reviews.
- Develop software according to modern methodologies such as the Scaled Agile Framework, including the use of tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Git.
- Stay abreast of new developments in power system analysis, modeling and optimization.
Required Knowledge/Skills and Experience
- Detailed knowledge of current power system analysis methodologies and the ability to research, investigate, and apply new and complex modeling and analysis techniques.
- Familiarity with power systems simulation techniques and how to model equipment.
- Knowledge of power system modeling, power flow solutions and contingency analysis.
- Experience developing in C/C++ or Fortran, particularly in the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.
- Knowledge of control engineering.
- Proficiency in the modeling of power system components
- Prior experience with creating simulation models for power system components is a plus
- Working knowledge of PSS®E or other power system analysis tools, particularly on large real-world networks as it applies to transmission planning analysis, is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - written and verbal.
- Strong organization skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Team player, customer focused with good interpersonal skills, positive and energetic attitude.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons.
- Masters in Electrical Engineering with emphasis on Power Systems, preferably a Ph.D. or equivalent work or research experience, with strong abilities in software development.
- Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or similar field a plus, with an emphasis on power systems-related modeling or algorithm experience.
Travel: Up to 10% travel.
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA; remote work is a possibility for strong candidates. This can be a remote, home-office based position based on the Eastern Continental US. It does not have to be in the city posted.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.