Control System Engineer for Automotive Applications
About us …
We’re Siemens. Award winning; Ranked on Fortune 500; Digital Engineering global leader. A collection of over 300,000 great minds who are all making the future. This position is with the North America Engineering and Consulting Services team of Siemens Digital Industries Software.
The Engineering and Consulting Services team develops state-of-the-art solutions for leading global companies in product ideation, development, and deployment. We pride ourselves in providing best-in-class technologies, unique solutions, and engineering best-practices to realize innovative mechatronic systems. Such smart solutions are sought by the industry to continuously enhance product performance, energy efficiency, user experience and sustainability and to profitably engineer them faster to the market. Combining traditional development techniques with bleeding-edge methods using Digital Twins, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics, large-scale High-Performance simulations, and Virtual Testing, we provide unique capabilities as a preferred development partner for corporations developing next generation of smart sustainable products.
Join us …
Do you tinker with embedded systems taking advantage of low-cost hardware, advanced control techniques, Machine Learning, and cloud-based computing? Do you have the passion and the innovative spirit to apply emerging control devices and concepts to develop next generation of sustainable mobility solutions?
As part of our Engineering Services team, you will work closely with Siemens Automotive customers to develop and test control algorithms using model-based approaches for next generation drivetrains that improve energy efficiency while enhancing driver experience. Our customers develop a range of products from conventional powertrains to HEVs to BEVs to Fuel Cell Vehicles. Using customers’ product requirements, you will design and implement control algorithms and test them against requirements using MIL and SIL technologies.
Your challenge …
You will be part of the project team assisting Automotive customers in developing and testing control algorithms and embedded software using model-based approaches. This position requires a unique combination of abilities:
- Serve as a project engineer on Siemens Automotive customer engagements in Transmission and Drivetrain Controls for advanced concepts in 4WD, AWD and e-AWD technologies.
- Analyze performance requirements and collaborate closely with multiple project stakeholders to implement requirements into software solutions. Use the requirements to develop and implement test scenarios to comprehensively exercise the controller implementation
- Model the algorithm behavior in MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow. Generate (on-demand) C-code from these models using Autocode generation tools.
- Work with Siemens global experts on MBD approaches and setup MIL- and SIL-based platforms to perform various types of tests. Use Simcenter Amesim and/or Simulink for physics-based models of drivetrain and vehicle components to setup closed-loop simulations of the control algorithms on these platforms.
- Perform tests interactively and develop automation scripts in MATLAB to programmatically test and verify the controller behavior.
- Participate actively in Agile product development sprints to periodically deliver working algorithms and software to vehicle program teams.
- Prepare and deliver presentations for broader technical and management teams.
- Participate in technical and scheduling activities for project delivery efficiency.
- Mostly work in hybrid mode, but able and willing to travel to local customer sites on an as needed basis when COVID restrictions are relaxed.
This is a growth position for the team member to take on broader Technical or Management or Commercial responsibilities as they progress in their career. With its global footprint in multiple industry segments, Siemens offers a wealth of limitless possibilities for professional growth.
For this position, you will typically have …
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 1-2 years of
experience in control algorithm development and testing:
- Knowledge and interests in Automotive mechatronic subsystems such as powertrain, drivetrain, and chassis subsystems. Working knowledge of vehicle dynamics.
- Experience in conceptualizing and in implementing control algorithms using MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow and scripting in MATLAB.
- Working knowledge of control techniques such as state-based control, regulators, reference trackers and multi-loop controllers.
- Demonstrable experience in debugging simulations and in results analysis.
- Experience in implementing test cases in simulation environment using plant models and evaluating controller performance using simulation results.
problem solving skills in a dynamic team environment
- Detail-oriented and results-driven
- Self-motivated team player that works quickly, independently and on schedule
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
It would be great if you additionally have …
- Understanding and application of disciplined Systems Engineering processes including functional requirements derivation, test scenario generation, systematic verification and validation of design from units to system level.
- Knowledge and experience in optimization techniques, Machine Learning and Data Analytics, advanced control concepts such as Model Predictive Control, Observer design and Kalman Filtering.
- Working knowledge of autocode generation technologies.
- Experience in scripted model building using Simulink APIs in MATLAB.
- Working knowledge of Agile approach to software development.
Siemens Industry Software Inc. is a technology supplier to the United States Federal Government. Recently The White House issued an Executive Order requiring most federal workers, contractors and subcontractors who do business with the government to get vaccinated against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice. The Company has decided to pause enforcement of the vaccine mandate for the time being while the issue is addressed by the courts. We will be monitoring the situation closely and may lift the pause if required to do so in order to be in compliance with federal law. If this pause is lifted you will be expected to be vaccinated against COVID-19.#LI-PLM
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.