Principal FullStack Engineer
Change the future with us.
We are looking for dedicated and talented people who tackle ever-changing challenges, customer needs, and questions from colleagues with clever concepts and creativity. We embrace change and work with curious minds re-inventing the future of work. Join us and let us focus together on what’s truly important: making lives better with new ideas and the latest technology around the world.
Why you’ll love working for Siemens!
- Freedom and a healthy work- life balance– Embrace our flexible work environment with flex hours, telecommuting and digital workspaces.
- Solve the world’s most significant problems – Be part of exciting and innovative projects.
- Engaging, challenging, and fast evolving, cutting edge technological environment.
- Opportunities to advance your career and mentorship programs on a local and global scale.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- Rewarding vacation entitlement with the opportunity to buy and sell your vacation depending on your lifestyle.
- Contribute to our social responsibility initiatives focused on access to education, access to technology and sustaining communities and make a positive impact on the community.
- Participate in our celebrations, social events and offsite business events.
- Opportunities to contribute your innovative ideas and get paid for them!
- Employee perks and discounts.
- Diversity and inclusivity focused.
Siemens is proud to be an eight-time award winner of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers 2018, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People 2020 and Greater Toronto's Top Employers 2021.
Founded in 2012, Comfy | Enlighted is a Siemens-owned business on a mission to connect employees to the people, places, and things they need to do their best work. Our SaaS platform combines building intelligence, space analytics, and a consumer-grade mobile app technology to improve the workplace experience for Fortune 500 companies around the globe. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, our fast-growing team balances the dynamic energy of a small company with the backing of a global powerhouse of Siemens Canada Limited.
We are looking for - Principal FullStack Engineers to help build the next generation of our smart building products. This is an opportunity to make difference by developing products that make offices, hospitals, factories and warehouse into energy efficient, interactive and efficient spaces in which to work. Come join our startup culture and participate firsthand in designing the future of workspaces.
Having successfully deployed the first generation of our products, we are putting together teams to build the next generation to address a range of IT, OT, and IoT use cases (including real-time location, wayfinding, people counting, room booking, access control, and visitor management); and are exploring ways to leverage machine learning across our product. Simultaneously, we are aggressively growing our user base, with some of our largest-ever deployments currently in flight.
We value clean architecture and modern approaches to software development and testing. Our products consist of cloud-based micro-services and modern web and mobile applications. You will work closely with a tight, agile team that ships features continuously, and you will be able to see the impact of your work on real customers.
As a Principal FullStack Engineer, you’ll be working across teams to solve challenges around building scalable, extensible applications on both web and mobile. This role will have many of the characteristics of a technical lead, working closely alongside our back end and platform teams to shape our UI strategy. You'll be part of the brain-trust that our engineering and product leadership will rely on to advise us on what's possible, what's sensible, and what's simple. In order to do that, you'll need to have technical depth; systems thinking; and communication skills to evaluate trade-offs around performance, cost, reliability, and scale. This is the ideal role for someone who's ready to move their career to the next level in terms of technical influence and scope of impact. Join us in Transforming the Everyday!
What will you do?
- First and foremost, you love building great software that make your customers happy. You love elegant, well-structured user interfaces that are wonderful to use. Your teams write code that is comprehensible, well-structured, highly performant, and you are equally comfortable in front of the computer cranking out code on your own or mentoring your team to develop great code.
- You are curious and passionate about knowing “why”, whether it is why a use case is important for a customer, or why something strange happens one time in a hundred tries.
- You love both learning and teaching. In this role, you will be interfacing with design, front-end, back-end, platforms, analytics, as well as our PM and QA teams; towards that end, you enjoy working across teams to solve hard problems.
- Agile development is second nature. Not only will you be expected to participate in daily scrums, sprint planning, and retros; you'll be expected to help improve our ceremonies.
- You strive for quality, and are obsessed with unit tests, automation, and squashing any bugs that sneak through. But it's more than that: you'll use our product, realize "hey! that's not what I expected!" and figure out how to make it better for everyone.
What will you need to succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or other related discipline required
- Deep knowledge of at least one modern programming language (Java and/or Python preferred)
- Expertise in service-oriented architectures; ideally, you've developed APIs for both internal and external-facing services
- You're obsessed with performance, and have experience with instrumentation and monitoring services to ensure the application is behaving as expected
- You have a basic knowledge of computer science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- 10+ years of industry experience developing commercial user-facing applications
- Successful delivery of an application from design to market
- Experience incremental delivery of enterprise systems with CI/CD
- Understanding of micro-service development
- Understanding of web service development
- Knowledge of multi-tier architectures across multiple technology stacks .net, Java, J2EE, web servers, caching, application servers, RDBMS/NoSQL: Postgres, Dynamo DB
- Proactive business skills and strong collaborative skills are required.
- Self-Directed, High Energy
- Demonstrated leadership skills; ability to work independently with minimal supervision as part of a globally distributed virtual team
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively across disciplines, product lines, roles and geographical and time zone boundaries
- Excellent oral/written communication & listening skills will be necessary to present information, analysis & recommendations to all levels of employees, including management, and customers.
- High degree of organization to manage & maintain project plans, road maps & provide accurate updates as part of the review cycle.
Bonus Points For
- Experience with Cordova, Android, iOS development
- Experience with Flutter/Dart
- Experience working with third-party / IoT integrations
- Experience working with platforms for Big Data or Machine Learning solutions
We share our ideas and champion the people behind them.
For over 110 years, Siemens Canada has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality and reliability. Active across Canada, the company focuses on intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems and on automation and digitalization in the process and manufacturing industries. Siemens brings together the digital and physical worlds to benefit customers and society. Through Mobility, a leading supplier of intelligent mobility solutions for rail and road transport, Siemens is helping to shape Canada’s passenger rail services. Via its majority stake in the publicly listed company Siemens Healthineers, Siemens is also a leading supplier of medical technology and digital health services. In addition, Siemens holds a minority stake in Siemens Energy, a global leader in the transmission and generation of electrical power.
Making a difference together we raised $757,000 towards charitable contributions, support over 23 non-profit organizations and planted 1,100 trees in our local communities. Siemens Canada has 2,500 employees from coast-to-coast and 24 office and production facilities across Canada. Join our team of approximately 293,000 talented professionals in more than 190 countries/regions and help us tackle the most exciting challenges to build a successful future together. So, what are you waiting for? Take your next career step with us.
To learn more about Siemens Canada, visit our website at www.siemens.ca
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Canada Limited
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.