Explore our Digital World
Do you want to create technologies that transform the everyday for billions of people? Our digital careers offer the opportunity to shape the next era of growth and innovation, challenging ourselves to build a better future. By creating ground breaking technologies that transform our world, we need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow‘s reality. Picture yourself in the Digital World of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
Why you’ll love working for Siemens!
- Freedom and a healthy work- life balance– Embrace our flexible work environment with flex hours, telecommuting and digital workspaces.
- Solve the world’s most significant problems – Be part of exciting and innovative projects.
- Engaging, challenging, and fast evolving, cutting edge technological environment.
- Opportunities to advance your career and mentorship programs on a local and global scale.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- Profit sharing available.
- Rewarding vacation entitlement with the opportunity to buy and sell your vacation depending on your lifestyle.
- Contribute to our social responsibility initiatives focused on access to education, access to technology and sustaining communities and make a positive impact on the community.
- Participate in our celebrations, social events and offsite business events.
- Opportunities to contribute your innovative ideas and get paid for them!
- Employee perks and discounts.
- Diversity and inclusivity focused.
Siemens is proud to be an eight-time award winner of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers 2018, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People 2020 and Greater Toronto's Top Employers 2021.
What will you do?
Our central research and development unit, Technology (Siemens T) plays an important role as strategic partner to all Siemens’ operative units. It provides important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes.
We are seeking a dynamic leader to advance our Cybersecurity Research Team in Fredericton, Canada, developing new solutions in all areas of Cybersecurity for Industrial IoT Systems and Applications focused on Smart Grid / Digital Grid. The team provides pre-development / research services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting and security standardization support to all of Siemens’ businesses. Relocation support to Fredericton, New Brunswick will be available.
Our team is composed of makers, innovators, engineers, and researchers that unite a passion about cybersecurity and securing our customers’ assets and networks - in domains such as control systems used in energy utilities that are part of the nation’s critical infrastructure, smart factories, building automation systems, intelligent transportation systems, healthcare, and innovative new products and solutions developed by Siemens. The Cyber Research Centre in Fredericton aims at advancing the state-of-the-art in industrial cyber defense, helping our customers to detect attacks quicker and more effectively, and select suitable response and containment strategies that support the safety and availability of industrial environments.
We help business units discover new business ideas and develop them into successful software solutions, products, and services. Our research results directly influence features in Siemens products, services, solutions, and are reflected in patents as well as journal and conference publications. Moreover, the research group participates in government funded research projects, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
The research group head must continuously develop the group’s capabilities and adjust the expertise and portfolio offerings with respect to customer and market demand. Collaboration with academic partners is a key success factor to acquire new technologies, pursue public funding, and attract new talent into the organization. We expect the research group head to develop and maintain focused relationships to the right partners. A team can only be as good as its members and how well they trustfully join forces; consequently, leadership, people development and talent acquisition are very important aspects of the job responsibilities.
What will be my responsibilities?
- People management: line management for and coaching and supporting the growth of 10+ researchers, interns, and contractors; drive target setting and performance monitoring; develop capabilities of researchers, consultants, and project managers. Drive a team with your entrepreneurial attitude based on your ambitious, strategic, analytical, creative, reliable, open-minded, and passionate character.
- Business responsibility: responsible for a 2 million CAD budget for the research group (cost center); acquire projects from the Siemens business units; ensure operational excellence in project delivery and achieve financial targets
- Strategy development: define and manage execution of the Research Group’s business strategy including identifying growth areas and defining business plans in alignment with the central strategic Siemens Company Core Technology (CCTs) programs and Technology Field research agenda
- Business development: align with business unit key stakeholders to determine and anticipate customer and market needs, define new portfolio elements for the local Research Group, and build staff and capabilities accordingly
- Program management: manage selected customer and research projects, assign staff to projects as needed, develop project execution excellence
- Collaboration: build a Siemens-internal network to acquire projects that convert research results into business impact; maintain relationships to the business units within Siemens; collaborate with other Research Groups in the Siemens Technology organization to build secure products and integrate into comprehensive assets and solutions; closely interact with Principal Key Experts, Research Group heads and Technology Field heads.
- Be an active member of the global research community: assist developing brand recognition externally by networking with industry experts, attending conferences and partnering with universities; develop and maintain relationships with key universities and institutes to expand technology expertise and jointly pursue publicly funding opportunities; collaborate with experts and peers outside of Siemens to secure government grants in relevant domains.
What will you need to succeed?
- Master’s degree in cybersecurity, electrical engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics, or related fields required. PhD preferred.
- 8+ years of experience as researcher and engineer in various areas of cybersecurity with a proven track record in academia and/or industry
- 5+ years of supervisory experience or program/project management engagement leading teams in an R&D environment required
- Up-to-date technical knowledge in multiple areas of cybersecurity.
- Strong domain expertise in at least one of the industry domains required (Industry, Energy, Smart Buildings), and experience in multiple domains strongly preferred.
- Experience in acquiring and executing customer projects in a P&L driven business organization is a significant plus.
- Excellent up-to-date technical and hands-on knowledge in current attack methods, cyber defense approaches, managed security service portfolios, and in mitigating cybersecurity risk in the industrial domain required.
- Experience in professional software development (especially agile and/or DevOps) and typical tools of the trade a significant plus.
- Established and active networks within Canadian and international academia/research institutions.
- Willingness to travel 30% (domestic + international) required
- Highly motivated business leader with a can-do attitude.
- Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way and ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects.
- Experience in working with dynamic and international teams with strong customer service orientation
We share our ideas and champion the people behind them.
Our research team is located in beautiful Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, the provincial capital that features a bustling cybersecurity community, including the University of New Brunswick (UNB) and its Canadian Institute for Cybersecurity, all glued together by a very active and welcoming community. Our team has attracted exceptional international talent, and we work closely with our local Digital Grid business unit, as well as with business units and other research teams within Siemens globally. This allows us to tap into the talent of more than 180 cybersecurity researchers in our global Technology Field.
As Siemens’ central Research & Development department, we embrace this community. Our core mission is to support our Siemens business units as a central knowledge hub for all cybersecurity capabilities globally. We research and develop new and innovative solutions, based on much-needed deep technical expertise, and our network with internal and external experts and academia. This allows us to invent new technology approaches and verify their feasibility in the “real world” together with the product development teams of our business units – creating a stimulating setup for quick innovation cycles and rapid prototyping.
For over 110 years, Siemens Canada has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality and reliability. Active across Canada, the company focuses on intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems and on automation and digitalization in the process and manufacturing industries. Siemens brings together the digital and physical worlds to benefit customers and society. Through Mobility, a leading supplier of intelligent mobility solutions for rail and road transport, Siemens is helping to shape Canada’s passenger rail services. Via its majority stake in the publicly listed company Siemens Healthineers, Siemens is also a leading supplier of medical technology and digital health services. In addition, Siemens holds a minority stake in Siemens Energy, a global leader in the transmission and generation of electrical power.
Making a difference together we raised $757,000 towards charitable contributions, support over 23 non-profit organizations and planted 1,100 trees in our local communities. Siemens Canada has 2,500 employees from coast-to-coast and 24 office and production facilities across Canada. Join our team of approximately 293,000 talented professionals in more than 190 countries/regions and help us tackle the most exciting challenges to build a successful future together. So, what are you waiting for? Take your next career step with us.
To learn more about Siemens Canada, visit our website at www.siemens.ca
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Canada Limited
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.