Siemens Mobility have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Design Engineer to join our Rail Infrastructure Electrification business in York.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
The team have demonstrated ability to successfully deliver power conversion projects and support the integration of novel technology into UK railway, driving down the cost of UK electrification and decarbonisation through application of the full range of internationally proven electrification technologies and integration into legacy railway. This is a unique opportunity, leading a team of experts that is redefining what is possible in UK railway electrification.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
The Senior Design Engineer will play a leading role in our growing team of power conversion engineers, delivering engineering design and supporting the development of junior colleagues across the portfolio of railway power conversion projects. They will use their design and construction experience to guide the optimal development of design to meet environmental, safety, cost and programme objectives.
Reporting to the Principal Power Conversion Engineer, the successful applicant will continue to develop the team in order to deliver consistent high-quality power converter engineering delivery from concept and bid support to successful entry in to service. This role demands a flexible approach, integrating design across disciplines from LV to HV, from protection and control to building services with support from specialist colleagues.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Lead and inspire designers by example and through the maintenance of team vision, standards and morale.
- Focus on individual development of junior colleagues through training, hands-on demonstration, and personal example.
- Deliver design products to meet the requirements of the contract, promoting safety, minimising cost, considering constructability and future reliability.
- Continuously improve efficiency and standardisation of high-quality design
- Monitor delivery throughout to ensure consistent delivery of high-quality results on time and budget.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with customers, industry associations, and partners.
- Encourage and develop good engineering links at all levels across Siemens Rail Electrification.
- Positively influence design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- Support development of resource estimates for remits.
- Support the project commercial process with the Commercial Manager and ensure all design change requests are processed on time
- Review project-based risk register monitoring and reporting on changes in commercial risk and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to eliminate or mitigate the risks.
- Maintain effective communications with all project participants to ensure contract delivery.
Where called upon the post holder would also undertake the role of Contractors Appointed Engineer (CRE) in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail regime and shall be able to demonstrate competencies associated with Issue 6 of NR/L2/INI/02009.
What Qualifications, Skills and Experience do I need?
- Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Extensive, proven experience delivering high quality electrical designs within the Rail industry and associated discipline standards.
- Previous exposure/experience with rail power, energy and industrial power products including digital control technology for power electronics including the use of relevant software packages / simulation tools including Matlab/Simulink.
- Proven experience delivering high quality projects utilising power conversion technologies including Static Frequency Converters, Static Var Compensators, Rolling Stock traction and auxiliary power converters and other motor drives.
- Previous exposure/experience working TNO/DNO in the provision of Bulk Supply Points (BSP’s) desirable, AC electrification and substation design experience.
- Demonstrable HSQE management knowledge including CDM requirements.
- Member of the IET or equivalent Professional Body; Chartered status is desirable
- Experience with direct client interface and representing the business to external parties is desirable.
- Proven level of management experience including supervising and developing junior colleagues, Strong communication and presentation skills and
- Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate, adapt and apply alternative new technologies
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time