A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Senior Telecoms Design Engineer to join our Operational Telecoms and Secure Networks team within the Siemens Mobility, Rail Infrastructure business.
We operate a hybrid working model with a mixture of flexible and office based working. We would welcome applications from those within commutable distance of our other Rail Infrastructure offices, which consist of Ashby De-La Zouch, York, Manchester, Chippenham and Croydon.
Reporting to the Design Manager (Telecoms), the Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms) undertakes the delivery of the engineering design aspects of Telecoms tenders and projects within agreed timescales and budgeted costs and is responsible for its contribution to overall business performance.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
The Rail Infrastructure business supplies operational telecoms and network equipment as well as the SCADA control systems alongside other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail technology such as the ETCS and Low Cost Digital Modular Signalling, so this is a phenomenal time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology!
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Delivery of Telecoms engineering designs / activities to the agreed time, cost, quality, safety and performance requirements.
- Lead Telecoms engineering tasks to deliver system development and implementation, including sub-contractors where applicable.
- Produce Telecoms engineering technical and Health and Safety documentation deliverables to meet project requirements.
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage Telecoms engineering tasks including resources and equipment in order to deliver tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Regularly report Telecoms engineering task progress and status.
- Support the provision of estimating for engineering projects and tenders with regard to engineering resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Complete personal and business objectives agreed under the Performance Management Process.
- Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle.
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered in accordance with Siemens Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements.
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered and undertaken in accordance with customer Health and Safety procedures and requirements within main line rail, light rail and mass transit environments.
- Perform the role of Telecom Design CRE / Lead design for small scale projects
- Identify and report project scope change.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and Partners.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- Degree, HND or HNC or equivalent in relevant subject area
- Incorporated Engineer or equivalent status.
- IRSE License in relevant category (Telecoms Design) – desirable
- An engineering background with previous experience in a relevant Telecoms engineering environment.
- Experience of supervision and delivery of development and implementation project tasks within the Main Line, Mass Transit and Light Rail environment.
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of Telecoms engineers for effective design and delivery of telecommunications systems.
- Experience and knowledge of implementation project engineering processes covering development, design, construction, test, commissioning and handover.
- Proven experience of design delivery of Operational Telecommunications systems & engineering activities in the rail environment.
- Knowledge and application of requirements management.
- Knowledge of Safety Critical and Safety Related activities in the rail environment
- Proven experience of integrating third party sub-systems into complete solutions.
- Proven experience providing support for estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- System knowledge of:
- Copper Cable
- Optical Fibre Cable
- Lineside Cable Route
- Transmission SDH and PDH
- Network switches and routers
- Modem Systems
- Immunisation Systems
- Signal Post Telephone Concentrator Systems
- PABX Telephony systems
- Voice Over IP
- Lineside Telephony
- Public Emergency Telephone System
- Driver Only Operation (Mirror, CCTV, Monitor)
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Charger and Battery Power Supplies
- Rail Signalling System Circuits
- Earthing Systems
- Station Information and Security System CCTV, PA, Help Point
- Knowledge of BS7671 wiring regulations desirable.
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software, especially Microsoft Office and Project.
- Proven flexibility in the role as it requires an element of travelling and unsociable hours working which may include night working, weekend working and bank holiday working.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety competency.
- Full Driving license.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time