Siemens, the leading global engineering and technology services company, has been active in the United Kingdom for over 170 years. We provide innovative solutions to help tackle the UK’s major challenges, across the key sectors of energy, industry, infrastructure & cities and healthcare. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 12 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices.
Reporting to the Lead Testing Manager, the Principal Test Engineer (PTE) will be provide subject matter expertise to teams implementing test regimes in direct support of the delivery projects into operational service. This will include activities associated with train-borne and track-side equipment, signalling control and interlocking/line-side signalling. They will also be involved in project planning and bidding activities and the resolution of design issues and validation activities.
The Principal Testing Engineer will have significant testing experience across a wide range of signalling technologies, usually with competence as either a Tester in Charge (Major Works) or Principles Tester (Complex).
What are the responsibilities of the role?
- Ensure that the technical standards are maintained in all aspects of signalling testing work, in order that safe and successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Provide support and input to Project Managers, Project Engineers and the Engineering Manager on allocated projects.
- Assist with forecasting the overall design resources and key skills necessary for allocated projects in sufficient time to ensure that they can be provided.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company.
- Direct such training as may be required including the briefing in of new technical instructions, procedures, handbooks and Signalling Principles.
- Focus on testing team development through support in the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and development plans.
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Act in the role of Contractors’ Responsible Engineer as directed.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- HNC/HND/Degree in electrical Engineering or equivalent
- IRSE Licence as Tester In Charge or Principles Tester (Complex)
- Experience in site testing of mainline or metro railway signalling projects for the testing and commissioning period of the project lifecycle
- A thorough grounding in the requirements for site testing activities as laid down in Siemens, customer, national and international standards and procedures as part of the overall project lifecycle
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills associated with managing allocated staff and contractors, other functions within SRA and the customer.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Does creating the ways a new world moves sound like it requires your skills? How about ensuring we do it with net-zero emissions by 2050? Discover a engineering career combining innovation, sustainability and a rare opportunity to shape society at scale.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA , the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time