Siemens Mobility are recruiting for an experienced Design Manager for our Rail Infrastructure, CIS business based out of Ashby de-la Zouch.Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
In CIS, we deliver network and security solutions to support the digital railway. Our portfolio includes the provision of telecommunication systems and cyber security solutions including data network for railway stations, SCADA systems, signalling systems, telephony systems, backbone communication networks / bearer network, network security and other cyber security systems. We undertake a full project life cycle delivery from concept development and detailed design to implementation, test, installation and commissioning.Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
The Design Manager will lead and direct the Station Information and Security Systems (SISS) engineering team to design and deliver SISS projects for our Rail business within agreed timescales and budgeted costs.
This is a leading role high profile opportunity, we are looking for a skilled technical leader, with demonstrable experience of leading technical teams, ideally in a control environment.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Lead and manage all SISS development and delivery activity.
- Manage all Production activity to deliver SISS solutions, including Drawing Office, sub-contractors, products and the implementation.
- Communicate the business vision to direct reporting engineering staff.
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage SISS engineering resources, people and facilities.
- Co-ordinate engineering staff recruitment, development and training to meet current and future business needs.
- Manage staff objective setting, work allocation, performance assessment, recognition and disciplinary procedures.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve business efficiency within the engineering team, including process improvement, outsourcing, resourcing and technology/design standardisation and re-use.
- Develop and maintain the standardised parts catalogue.
- Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle.
- Ensure products and projects are delivered in accordance with Siemens Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements.
- Provide estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Monitor relevant technological developments and identify how such technologies may be utilized within the SISS engineering team.
- Encourage creativity and innovation within the engineering team.
- Provide practical input for strategic technology decisions and support the preparation of Technology Roadmaps.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and Partners.
- Maintain and develop own professional competence and encourage and assist persons working under their supervision similarly.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering subject area.
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent status.
- An engineering background with previous management experience in a SISS engineering environment.
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of professional engineers to effectively design and deliver complex systems.
- Experience and knowledge of relevant engineering processes at all stages of the engineering lifecycle.
- Proven experience in the use of requirements management tools.
- Proven experience in the use of defect tracking, version control and configuration management tools.
- Proven experience of system design and implementation.
- Proven experience of integrating third party sub-systems into complete solutions.
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of process improvements to deliver increased efficiency, quality and productivity in a relevant engineering environment.
- Proven experience of the process/practices of appraisal, performance management and professional development.
- Proven experience providing estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
- Strong business and financial understanding and appreciation of contractual, commercial and IPR issues associated with an engineering business.
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software, especially Microsoft Office and Project.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational, time management and problem solving skills.
- Full Driving licence.
- Previous experience of sub-contractor and supplier management desirable.
- Knowledge of data communication technologies and requirements, such as copper and optical comms, serial and ethernet comms, modems, network switches and routers, is desirable.
- Knowledge of BS7671 17th Edition wiring regulations desirable.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time