Technical Support Engineer performs complex product support to customers remotely via telephone, e-mail, and fax and documents accordingly. Completes on-site and in-house troubleshooting for complex products and other related products to customers. Performs in active programs to increase customer satisfaction. Performs in disseminating complex product knowledge. Performs in recommending complex product needs of the customer to product design group. Completes coordination for new product introductions as they relate to product support.
The position performance is measured by support case activity, time utilization, identified new business opportunities, technical services sold, completed training hours, and knowledge sharing. The role also has shared responsibilities for team performance on Customer Survey rating, technical services sold, and callback response time.
The Technical Support team reports to the Service Delivery / Customer Services organization. This role has both individual contributor and team responsibilities. The individual will report to the team manager and does not have any direct reports. This role works closely with other support engineers both at same and remote locations.
- Provides in-depth technical support for our complete PLC product suite, primarily in a reactive environment (support center).
- Thoroughly documents customer questions and potential solutions using a case management system.
- Works closely with Sales, Technical Support, Engineering and various internal groups to manage escalated customer inquiries.
- Sell technical support services including back-office and field service activity.
- Conveys technical knowledge gained via the generation of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), Tips & Tricks, Application aids, etc.
- Support may include 3rd party products/solutions and may include occasional on-site support.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Knowledge of PLC hardware and software packages.
- Programming languages: Ladder, Function Block (FBD), and Structured Control (SCL)
- Knowledge of electrical circuitry and IO signal processing
- Good communication skills, listens to customer concerns and issues, use appropriate troubleshooting and problem analysis techniques to isolate the root cause of the problems, and recommends / implements appropriate solutions to resolve the problem.
- Must be a self-starter with ability to learn new technologies in a fast-paced environment
- Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Knowledge of Step 7 Classic, TIA Portal, and related hardware
- Programming language: C++, VB, Statement List (STL), OPC, SCADA systems
- Profibus, profinet, Ethernet, Modbus, serial RS232/485 communication protocols and related analysis tools
- Ability to analyze product technical specifications to customer logic, flow diagrams, and electrical control panel drawings
- Knowledge of motion control, AC/DC drive and axis technology concepts
- BS/BA in Electrical, Electronic, Industrial, Computer Science, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification may be required in some areas.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrates and applies knowledge of field of specialization through successful completion of moderately complex assignments. Successfully applies complex knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular area of specialization. Demonstrates knowledge of organization's business practices and issues. Entry Level – 0 to 3 years related experience
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.