Business Development Manager – Formulated Products
About Siemens Processing Systems Engineering
Siemens Process Systems Engineering is the leading supplier of Advanced Process Modelling software, services and solutions to the process industries. We help our customers to apply advanced process models based on our gPROMS platform technology for digital process design and operations. This enables them to explore the process decision space rapidly, reduce uncertainty and risk and make better, faster and safer design and operating decisions through deeper understanding of their processes.
Currently employing about 280+ employees worldwide, SPSE has a well-established reputation for thought leadership and technology innovation, achieved via a substantial R&D program spanning more than two decades. Following its recent acquisition by Siemens AG, the company is now embarking on a major further expansion of its R&D and business development activities.
An area of strategic growth and investment for SPSE are the so-called 'Formulated Products' industries, which include Life Sciences, Agrochemicals, Food & Beverage and Consumer Packaged Goods. SPSE has developed some unique software and consulting services specifically for these markets and developed strong reference accounts, all of whom are global multi-national 'household names'. In the US this includes AbbVie, Amgen, FDA, GSK, Lilly, Merck and Pfizer. This is supported by a dedicated cross-functional Business Unit to focus exclusively on these markets, providing an extremely strong platform for growth and success.
As a key salesperson ‘on the ground’ for this Business Unit in North America your primary focus will be developing several existing accounts and opening up new target accounts by leveraging our existing flagship reference accounts. As regards industry sectors, you will be primarily focused on Life Sciences, Food & Beverage and Agrochemicals.
You will have sales experience, ideally in a quota carrying sales position or alternatively in a customer facing technical pre-sales role, in at least one of the primary market sectors, with an appreciation of the manufacturing processes typical employed in the batch and continuous manufacture of formulated products. You must know how to discover a customer's business challenges and how to work with technical colleagues to audit a customer’s existing R&D and tech transfer processes and any use of modelling methods, translating these findings into a sales value proposition and investment case. You must be skilled, confident and self-motivated in identifying and developing new business opportunities within existing accounts.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
* Develop existing accounts and develop new business and new customers in the target industries in North America
* Build, maintain and execute a territory plan.
* Pro-actively instigate new discussions within accounts and strategic prospects to enable PSE to understand and discover customer goals and challenges relevant to opportunities for PSE.
* Work with cross-functional teams on sales campaigns, directing and working with technical pre-sales and consulting to achieve desired outcomes.
* Develop accounts by building long-term strategic relationships and plans with senior level customer contacts while engaging tactically within divisional or departmental groups to develop new business opportunities. Need to be able to have technically meaningful conversations building opportunities to include PSE technical experts when qualified.
* Accurately forecast sales pipeline in Salesforce and consistently exceed quarterly and annual sales targets.
* Predict and articulate the needs of your customers to the Executive team to enable these requirements to be translated into long term strategic deliverable solutions.
* Potential travel through the Americas, potentially up to 50% travel on a weekly basis. Occasional travel to Europe.
Qualifications & skills:
* Ideally you will have successfully held a quota carrying sales role for at least two years.
* Experience selling either software or capital equipment into the manufacturing space within the relevant industries is highly desirable and will help you succeed in this role.
* In the absence of a sales track record, we welcome candidates who have been in a customer facing technical role working with or supporting a sales team. Candidates must be able to demonstrate hands-on experience and involvement in navigating a consultative sales process. Candidates in this category should have a very clear and definite career objective to move into a quota carrying sales role. For the right candidate, PSE will invest in the necessary sales training, development and sales coaching.
* You must be degree qualified, in a related science or engineering based subject, for example Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering
* Through your academic qualifications or through your career work experience, you must have an appreciation of the manufacturing processes typically employed in the manufacture of formulated products. You should be able to articulate typical development approaches starting from a new product candidate, via lab and pilot plant trials to a commercial manufacturing process.
* You must be able to demonstrate an ability to translate technical benefits into business benefits and ROI and be confident engaging with customer contacts on multiple levels in order to gain the necessary sponsorship for discretionary investments.
* Self-driven and self-motivated entrepreneurial mind-set with exceptional interpersonal skills combined with strong organizational and analytical skills, and a strong interest in understanding how ‘things’ work.
* First class communication and presentation skills.
* An existing network of contacts in these industries is advantageous.
Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Process Systems Engineering Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.