Job Title: Head – Research Group: Collective Intelligence Systems
Location: Bangalore, India
Our central research and development unit, Technology (T) are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research. We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world.
At Technology you will be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best. Siemens Technology (T) is seeking a seasoned data science expert with strong management experience to head the Collective Intelligence Systems Research Group in Bangalore, India. The focus of this team will be to develop powerful innovations in collective intelligence that will transform Siemens businesses, building applications using multi-modal cognitive architectures combining all preceptory inputs such as audio, video and other agent systems. The team is a key part of our worldwide research set-up collaborating with many other research groups across globe.
Our Technology Field is Business Analytics and Monitoring (BAM) in Research in Digitalization and Automation. Headquartered in Munich, we are a passionate community of around 220+ researchers, data scientists and architects distributed across the globe. We strive to solve complex problems in various domains ranging from Manufacturing, Infrastructure, Energy, Mobility and Buildings to Smart cities by applying methods and principles of data analytics and artificial intelligence.
What part will you play?
- The Research Group (RG) Leader will drive the development of leading-edge technologies through customer funded and own research projects. You will be responsible for the Research Group - developing both technology and business strategy and will have overall budget responsibility.
- You will be responsible for the transfer of R&D results into offers to strategically suitable Siemens operating division while ensuring knowledge and technology transfer within the RG and with other RGs.
- Works with technology leaders across the organization to expand market reach, identify new solution/product development opportunities, and analyze customer needs to evolve market and technology requirements.
- Development and implementation of the Research Group strategy - Strategic positioning and planning of respective Research Group (mid/ long term) including technology portfolio management.
- Representation of the Research Group (technology, competencies, offerings) both to Siemens units and externally, e.g. to the scientific community. Establish and maintain strong networks.
- Have you acted as a primary interface between business, engineering and technology organizations?
- Have rich and demonstrated experience in understanding and influencing technology choices and building solutions to remove obstacles to adoption.
What you need to make real what matters.
- Have solid demonstrable entrepreneurial experience in building and running a team in Computer vision-based technologies from scratch.
- Demonstrated leadership skills through strong problem-solving skills, excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work with and lead teams of technical and non-technical experts.
- Moved beyond theoretical models and can demonstrate successful results in building innovative, practical and robust real-world solutions for Computer Vision based applications?
- Demonstrated concrete examples of having successfully developed strategic concepts and engaged in technical business development to address new markets, using video-analytics based technologies
- Master’s degree (or PhD) – post 5-8 +, master – 10+ in Computer Science/Information Technology from a premier institute with 12+ years of research experience required of which 8+ years of hands-on experience
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the following is a must:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working on Image processing, Computer vision and Video Analytics problems with a clear understanding and ability to implement algorithms (especially deep learning algorithms)
- Solid hands-on experience in training deep convolutional and/or recurrent networks using frameworks like Tensorflow, Caffe and PyTorch, OpenCV and OpenGL. Strong knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of linear algebra, probability, calculus.
- Research, develop and prototype software technologies related to object detection, tracking, semantic segmentation, action recognition, 3D reconstruction, SLAM and photometric stereo
- Research and develop vision algorithms for mobile, automotive and XR applications with performance and power efficiency. Optimization techniques and model compression for deployment on resource-constrained hardware/edge devices
- Demonstrated outstanding ability to drive innovation and research in the form of patents and publishing papers at top-tier conferences/journals. Publications in CVPR/ICCV/NIPS/ICML/ICLR/ would be an added advantage
- Disciplinary and technical leadership / coaching of Research Group staff; driving Performance Management that includes target setting, evaluation and competency development for Project Managers and staff. You will need to build future technology leaders.
- Budget planning and reporting for the Research Group incl. project controlling
- Driving recruiting, competence management, resource management and transfer activities for Research Group, in alignment with senior management
- Excited to groom, coach and collaborate with team members and stakeholders from idea generation, prototyping through production, present developed solutions and recommendations to business partners, and influence future technology roadmap and strategy of the portfolio
- Extremely energetic and willing to walk the extra mile for achieving targets and be an active AI evangelist within and outside Siemens.
Make your mark in our exciting world at Siemens.
This role is based in Bangalore, where you’ll get the chance to work with multi-disciplinary teams working together to build the next chapters of innovation and impact.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 379,000 minds building the future, one day at a time in over 200 countries. We're dedicated to equality, and we encourage applications that reflect the diversity of the communities we work in. All employment decisions at Siemens are based on qualifications, merit and business need. Bring your curiosity and imagination and help us shape tomorrow.
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow ‘s reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds (http://www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds)
Company: Siemens Technology and Services Private Limited
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time