Make your mark in our exciting world at Siemens.
We are a collection of over 280,000 minds building the future, one day at a time. Together, we create technologies that take society further. From strategic advisory to technical consulting and state-of-the-art simulation software solutions, Siemens Power Technologies International (Siemens PTI) offers a holistic approach to mastering the technical, economic and environmental challenges of today’s and future energy systems.
We’re looking for power system consultants at various levels with the skills and vision to build a better tomorrow. Join our Smart Infrastructure Grid Software, PTI consultancy team as a Power System Consultant and help us re-imagine the world by finding solutions and making the world a smarter place for tomorrow.
Siemens PTI is the think tank of Siemens Smart Infrastructure Business Unit and provides thought leadership to our customers on generation connections, transmission and distribution projects, industrial systems, long-term development plans, energy strategies, smart energy system, digitalisation & IoT consultancy as well as business model innovation to cope with the energy transition and digital transformation.
We help to shape the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. We address the pressing challenges of urbanisation and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries though digital technologies.
Location: The role is based in Manchester or home based with travel across the U.K and Ireland.
This is your role. What part will you play?
- Assessing customer's business requirements and application objectives and proposing solutions to their problems.
- Manage and deliver power system analysis, planning and protection studies.
- Application of power systems planning and protection principles, simulation and analysis of power system steady state and dynamic behaviour, development of mathematical models for assessment of electrical networks.
- Undertaking generator (including Wind Farms and PV) connection Compliance and Power Quality Studies.
- Automating and Scripting work for power system analysis tools (including PSS®E & PSS®SINCAL).
- Application and analysis of study results applied to basic system design and equipment specification.
- Delivery of on-site technical consulting and training services.
- Undertaking techno-economic studies to identify business cases for customers.
- Developing and maintaining external customer relationships.
- Preparing proposals and tenders including estimating skills and quantity of resources required to successfully implement projects and development of project plans.
- Providing Grid Simulation Software technical support to customers and Sales.
- Learning from, and transferring knowledge to, colleagues within the team.
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- You will be passionate about sustainability, energy transition, smart autonomous grids and impacts of digitalization in the energy industry.
- Exposure with the UK / Ireland regulatory framework, Grid Codes and system operation.
- Knowhow in CIM and integration of offline simulation packages to real time operating systems.
- Experience in using programs for the analysis and calculation of electrical power networks, such as PSS®E, PSS®SINCAL, PSS®CAPE, MATLAB, Plexos and comparable tools.
- Programming skills in FORTRAN, C++ or Python.
- Knowledge of protection studies, protection settings, power quality and arc flash studies.
- Knowledge of generator control systems and development of associated power system models.
- Techno-economic studies to identify business cases for customers, conduct techno-economic evaluations of project proposals including good understanding of financial concepts.
- Previous working experience with Transmission System Operators/Owners and/or Distribution Network Operators/Owners.
- You will have the ability to develop a sense of community and to collaborate in the building of successful teams.
- A proactive attitude towards leading initiatives, driving improvement and change management is a must!
- Ideally qualified to a Degree/Masters level, or with a Phd, in Electrical Engineering or Power Systems Engineering.
We’ve got quite a lot to offer. How about you?
When it comes to future-proof energy system, infrastructure or industrial power supply in today’s complex and changing energy environment, sound advice from power system experts is essential. Siemens has a legacy of world renowned engineering experience and innovative software and technologies. Our customers rely on the leading knowledge and global experience of the Siemens PTI energy business advisory and power system consulting experts. You will become one of the key ingredients of this community where you will have the freedom to expand your horizon.
We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit. We offer 26 days holiday (which increases with service), up to 10% pension contribution match, an excellent company share scheme and employee discounts just to name a few.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. Siemens encourage everyone to bring their whole self to work, and we support applications from a diverse talent pool.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool - you can read more about our commitment to diversity by clicking here
We also welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants. See our flexibility culture here
We have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. If you require any reasonable adjustments to be made to enable you to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via our FAQ section here