Siemens Mobility does more than you know. You may associate us with trains or signalling systems. But, the advanced, AI powered transportation and mobility infrastructure we’re developing are actually a driving force for the future of smart cities – and an entirely digitalised world.
We blended traditional engineering with computer science long ago, and are leading the way in solutions that transform how people move. Green energy and decarbonisation is our goal, as is convenience and connecting with the individual – putting all the information relating to their journey in the palm of their hand.
A Senior Mechanical Engineer is required to join the Hardware team in the R&D Department to deliver mechanical products for use in signalling system solutions.
- Generation of conceptual design of mechanical products for railway signalling and control, working locally in a hardware R&D team but as part of the wider Siemens RI development community
- Responsible for detailed development of products, using Lean principles and 3D CAD/CAE modelling, incorporating mechanical analysis and verification testing. Activities include:
- Proving structural calculations
- Material properties comparison and selection
- Environmental condition analysis and testing
- Formal verification test and safety reports
- Hands-on assembly and testing of prototypes
- On-site testing of prototypes and support to trial installations
- Checking and approval of design, calculations, results and documents produced by other members of the team
- Liaising with manufacturing and supply chain
- Degree or higher qualifications in mechanical engineering or a similar related discipline.
- Mechanical engineering knowledge, with analytical skills, including knowledge of FEA (linear/non-linear), stress, friction, tolerance build-up etc.
- Possess good working knowledge of analytical methods such as FEA (linear/non-linear)
- Working knowledge of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tools
- Knowledge of electrical circuit design and /or basic PCB layout
- Experience in setting and driving simulations such as thermal etc.
- Experience in manufacturing methods and processes both for prototyping and volume manufacturing.
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD/CAE tools (ideally SolidWorks or similar)
- Good attention to detail commensurate with safety-critical design
- Good PC skills including use of MS Office tools in a networked environment
- Possess good communication and presentation skills
- Understanding the rigorous requirements of a safety-critical environment
- Ability to perform detailed FEA analysis (linear / non-linear)
- Chartered Status
- Experience in a manufacturing environment including prototyping and volume manufacturing
- Rail industry experience would be highly beneficial
Does creating the ways a new world will move sound like it requires your skills? How about ensuring we do it with net-zero emissions by 2050? Discover an engineering career combining innovation, sustainability and a rare opportunity to shape society at scale.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion-focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-KO #INSMO
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time