Scope of the Position
Our industrial automation customers rely on our wide array of programmable logic controllers, expansion modules, and automation software to help solve their automation challenges. The Test Center performs system-wide testing to validate that these products under development interoperate successfully with other products in the Siemens automation ecosystem. Test Center team members identify and exercise customer use cases and workflows to help evaluate product quality, and the team communicates findings to the Development teams. The Test Center also offers testing and test consulting services to Development team colleagues and assists them with investigating and reproducing customer problems.
The Test Engineer’s primary responsibilities include system-wide testing, expanding knowledge and capabilities in areas pertinent to Test Center activities, and collaborating with Development teams for release quality and timely response to customer problems. The Test Engineer contributes to the resolution of customer problems by investigating reported issues and working with Development teams to resolve those issues, helping to maintain the reputation of Siemens and our products. This position reports to the team manager of the Johnson City Test Center, which operates within the global Factory Automation (FA) Test Center structure and collaborates with other Test Centers in Germany and China.
- Work together with fellow Test Center team members to define and execute system-wide test cases based on customer scenarios and workflows
- Investigate customer problem reports with the goal of reproducing issues and working with Development teams on problem resolution
- Record test results in test management system
- Document test procedures
- Report status to Test Center team manager
- Interface with the Test Center team manager to know the current backlog and plans for upcoming projects
- Support Development teams with test assistance/consultation as requested
- Develop productive relationships and maintain connections with customer-facing colleagues
- Comply with the established processes within FA and local R&D
- Propose and implement continuous improvements to process, test coverage, and test assets
- Automate tests where possible to improve test efficiency
- BS or MS degree in computer engineering, computer science, software development, electrical engineering
- 5+ years of experience in any of the following technical fields: application engineering, hardware or software development, hardware or software testing
- Knowledgeable in industrial automation products and applications, such as Siemens S7 PLC’s, TIA Portal, PLCSIM, Safety, OPC UA
- Self-motivated and results-oriented with proven problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Able to interface with customer-facing colleagues to understand user workflows and applications
- Ability to interact productively with colleagues at all levels
- Excellent collaboration skills in a global development environment
- Strong training/mentoring skills
- Clear written and verbal communications
- Limited domestic and international travel (<5%)
- Understanding of the product development process and overall product lifecycle
- Familiarity with agile methodologies
- Familiarity with test methodologies and best practices
- Knowledge of industrial automation topics such as HMI, Industrial Communication, PROFINET
- Experience with LAD, SCL, or similar PLC programming languages
- Experience with C# or similar programming languages
- Knowledge of test frameworks (NUnit, MSTest, etc.) and source control solutions (Git, TFS, etc.)
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.