Siemens Mobility are currently recruiting for a high calibre Electrical Design Engineer for our Rail Infrastructure, Electrification business. The Design Engineer, ideally with experience in either High Voltage or Low Voltage Substation Design, will be responsible for the successful delivery and innovation on exciting major UK projects.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
Based out of our offices in York and reporting to the Principal Engineer, the Design Engineer will deliver consistent high-quality designs which safely implement rail traction power distribution solutions to the customer’s specifications, agreed timescales and budgets.
As a Design Engineer you will be producing design deliverables for the project you are allocated, checking designs created by other designers, providing updates on progress to the senior and principal engineers, and ensuring that the quality of the work produced meets the technical, safety and budgetary requirements.
In the role you will develop your technical and practical knowledge of design solutions for traction power systems and will be required to have excellent communication skills to ensure a positive and collaborative team working approach. At times you may be required to deputise for the senior / principal engineer in client meetings, representing the company and ensuring customer service levels are maintained.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Prepare and deliver design documentation (including but not limited to: reports, drawings, calculations and risk assessments) to agreed timescales and authorised budgets.
- Contribute to the development of tenders and offers.
- Carry out independent checking of design documents as required.
- Maintain technical and safety standards in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Maintain and develop own professional knowledge and competence.
- Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects. Assist in the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met.
- Maintain continuous communication with colleagues and customers to ensure coherent design and customer satisfaction.
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Deputise as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Provide problem solving and support to the site engineers as and when required.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- High Voltage or Low Voltage Substation design / E&P and building services designs for the Railway.
- An Engineering Degree or HND/HNC (minimum) in a relevant subject area.
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
- Experience in the design and implementation of rail traction power systems with particular emphasis on the preparation and checking of designs.
- Practical experience of the operational requirements of railway construction works.
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
- Flexible, innovative approach, willingness to learn and engage in the implementation of new technologies.
- Understanding of task, time and people management.
- Working towards a Professional Engineering status, Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
- Holder of Personal Track Safety card.
- Experience / knowledge of one or more: railway electrical protection & control, traction power system design, SCADA, E&P, signalling power supplies, building services, lineside LV supplies, distribution / substations, project / site engineering
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time