Research Engineer -
Sustainable and Resilient Power Systems
Do you know how to model and simulate power systems and want to work in applied research? Then join our Siemens Technology research group in Princeton, NJ! As part of our Autonomous Systems and Control team you will participate in projects on power system automation, power generation, renewables integration and many more. In these exciting and challenging projects you will help to drive sustainability and resiliency of power grids with applications in  Galapagos Island,  Hawaii, the  Rocky Mountains or our very own microgrid at our R&D campus in Princeton.
Together with an international team of researchers you will:
- Develop power system simulation models for sustainable and resilient power systems with high integration of inverter-based resources.
- Implement advanced control and optimization concepts in prototypes, feasibility studies, technical specifications, and integrate them into larger systems and product components.
- Test and validate power system models and control functions in laboratory and field tests.
- Work with Siemens’ business units to understand customer requirements and deliver solutions.
- Protect the results of your work through patent applications and publish results at conferences or in top journals.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or related fields with strong focus on simulation and modeling for inverter-dominated power systems required; post-graduate experience in the same field, e.g., in an industrial research center or a national lab is a plus.
- Strong expertise in modelling and simulation of power systems with high integration of inverter-based resources like detailed dynamic modelling and simulation (RMS/EMT) is required, proven through at least 3 years related work in this field.
- Good knowledge of power electronic converters and power generation devices like wind turbines or photovoltaic plants.
- Good knowledge of software tools for power system modeling and simulation such as MATLAB/Simulink, PSCAD, OpenDSS, PSS®E, etc.
- Programming experience in Python, C++ preferred.Experience with real-time simulator like OPAL-RT preferred.Experience with PLC/HMI programming preferred.
- Experience with system integration and communication protocol preferred.
- Real world problem solving and a hands-on, can-do mentality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required.
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of specialists.
This position supports a Siemens customer who requires all employees and vendors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 where permitted by applicable law and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on  http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.