Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are a great option and opportunity for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain a (degree) whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens Mobility!
Siemens Mobility help to solve the problems of increasing traffic by working with railway operators to improve the capacity, punctuality, and security of their systems. We also ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum.
Within our Rail Electrification Power Conversion team, you will be part of a team helping to design and implement world leading new power supply technology, with a transformative impact on decarbonising transport. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team in a young and dynamic team.
We are recruiting school and college leavers to join our Electrical Design apprenticeship scheme who want to make a difference and develop their skills in IT, Engineering and Digital Technology.
You will learn how to design complex electrical and wiring installations, using the latest automated electrical design CAD software.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 4-year Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship. You will gain practical experience delivering electrical design for projects, and will have the opportunity during your training to gain experience in aligned specialisms. As an apprentice in Siemens Rail Infrastructure (a part of Siemens Mobility), you will predominantly work in our Rail Electrification centre of excellence on York campus, but may be required to travel during placements which may include site work as well as Siemens Mobility locations in London, Coventry or Edinburgh. Travel expenses and subsistence will be paid where required to work away from your home location.
Here is a taste of what you can expect from this apprenticeship scheme:
- Understand and prepare designs of high power electrical equipment
- Develop and implement electrical wiring designs in leading edge electrical CAD software
- Consider and design the physical and mechanical installation of electrical installations
- Get hands-on in the installation and/or testing and commissioning of electrical equipment
- Learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases.
- Delve into the world of Networking. Examine the configuration of control system networks.
- Work on real projects transforming and decarbonising UK rail systems, improving the environment and the passenger experience.
- Develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes in electrical and railway design.
- Become a STEM ambassador and participate in various volunteering events, such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
- Collate evidence during the apprenticeship scheme in preparation for professional registration, such as EngTech.
Here is how the programme works:
• When you join the business, you will be allocated to the specialist Rail Electrification Power Conversion delivery team where you will work under mentorship on our current projects on a rotation basis.
• At the same time you will be signed up to the academic element of your apprenticeship. To support your studies, 20% of your standard weekly working hours will be spent studying for your degree. (This time is paid, including travel expenses where applicable).
• By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to become a Power Conversion engineer as well as a Digital and Technology Solutions degree.
There is an expectation of the apprentice to finish the elements of the structured learning plan, attendance to all performance evaluations, rotations across the business as well as developing your professional competence throughout.
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving.
- You have a strong background in Maths and English.
- You have a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- You have a keen desire to learn.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions.
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change.
- •Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve at least 5 GCSE's grade 4 or above including Maths and English language, and 3 A Levels (or equivalent level 3 qualifications) at grade C or above.
The benefits of a degree apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a competitive salary of £20,000 at the same time as an annual bonus!
- Become part of a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of railway control systems. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time