We are currently recruiting for Environmental Manager to join us in Siemens Mobility – Rail Infrastructure. In this role, you will primarily lead the delivery of environment and environmental sustainability requirements across the business unit and support the development and implementation of related workstreams, that will help to ensure that the business is industry leading with regards to environment and sustainability management.
You will establish, maintain and lead the environment team to ensure that environmental and environmental sustainability is managed in line with the business strategy and objectives.
This is a location independent role with a need to travel to Rail Infrastructure locations UK wide on a weekly basis, therefore candidates from across the UK are we welcome to apply.
This is your role
- Develop, maintain, and continually improve our management system to ensure that it meets the internal and external obligations (legislative, ISO14001, ISO45001, Customer requirements, Industry requirements)
- Identify and inform the business regions regarding business-level environmental and sustainability opportunities
- Identify and communicate emerging environmental and sustainability legislation and best practices, working in conjunction with regional/corporate/industry counterparts
- Lead on the effective control of environmental and sustainability risk and on the maximisation of relevant opportunities
- Identify and inform the business of project specific environmental and sustainability risks especially those related to permits, licences, and consents, and assist in the effective control
- Collate and report on environmental and sustainability deliverables within Business Unit and SMO (e.g.: key documentation, data collection and reporting, training, etc)
- Actively participate in relevant environmental and sustainability meetings across SMO/Business Unit/regions.
- Develop and maintain an effective approach to both occupational safety and environmental inspections and audits of projects/offices/sites/depots (including in other regions as required), carrying out governance level management system auditing in order to ensure continual improvement.
- Review all environmental and sustainability performance indicators (leading and lagging), identifying trends and areas for improvement, with action planning where necessary
- Be the lead technical support for significant environmental and/or sustainability incident investigations
- Establish and maintain an effective training plan for environmental and sustainability that meets the requirements of the training and competency matrix and our environmental management system
- Represent the business, and build effective and positive relationships with critical/strategic internal/ external stakeholders (e.g.: industry groups, client, supply chain partners, etc) in order to drive continual improvement in environment and sustainability
- Assist with the procurement of supply chain partners for environmental and sustainability requirements
- Support the work winning teams in developing high quality/tailored environment and sustainability bid responses
- Lead the development and implementation of corporate environment and sustainability workstreams, where requested.
- Mentor and support specific members of the wider business unit team on their role regarding effective environmental and sustainability management
- Deliver a structured programme of development to upskill the environment and sustainability team, and equip them with the skills and behaviours necessary to support a proactive and engaged approach to environmental management throughout the business
- Provide regular support to environmental and sustainability team members and facilitate delivery against their personal development plan
- Identify talent, proactively address under performance, and manage any issues and problems as they arise
- Be an active member of the Business unit EHS Leadership team, and collaborate effectively with the EHS Managers to ensure that the approach to environmental management is consistent across the business.
- Assist Head of EHS with budgeting and resourcing to support the business strategy and objectives
What qualifications and experience will you need?
- Degree or diploma in environmental, sustainability, occupational health and safety or risk management
- Membership of a relevant professional organisation (eg: IEMA, CIWEM, IES, IOSH)
- Current (or clear timeline to achieving) Chartered Membership of IEMA (or equivalent)
Knowledge and experience:
- Willingness to learn and apply knowledge on less familiar environment and social topics
- Ability to prepare high quality written documentation
- Ability to effectively engage with both office and site-based personnel
- Willingness to provide guidance and constructive feedback to colleagues on environmental and sustainability issues
- Experience in the development and/or delivery of environment and sustainability briefing materials
- Actively engaged in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities
- Ideally a minimum of 10 years’ experience in an environmental or sustainability field within the construction and/or rail industry
- Relevant experience of managing a team
In this leadership role, we are happy to discuss flexible working arrangements.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens! Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Either