At Siemens Mobility we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We apply lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. Our product offerings include light rail vehicles, electric locomotives, diesel-electric locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trains. Core manufacturing processes include extensive car-shell welding activities, bogie fabrication and assembly, electrical subassembly, finishing and paint, and final assembly.
The Mechanical Engineer – Carbody Structure reports to and works under the direction of the Carshell Calculations Engineering Manager. This is a full time, in person roll located in Sacramento, California. You will be responsible for structural calculations and various support activities related to rail vehicle design, analysis, and manufacturing.
- Be a direct input to mechanical design packages ensuring all systems are fully integrated into the vehicles
- Perform interface investigations using 2D and 3D CAD models of various rail vehicle components considering installation, operation, and service/maintenance
- Utilize 3D CAD software to create models for the purpose of structural assessment (Finite Element Analysis)
- Perform structural analysis on rail vehicle primary and secondary structure using both manual and Finite Element Analysis methodologies
- Perform structural assessments on mechanical connections including bolted joints, riveted joints, and welds
- Create material estimates in support of the procurement of materials for manufacturing
- Perform quality checks on Finite Element Analysis models
- Support the production of rail vehicle structures by providing input on the disposition of non-compliances to the engineering design/technical requirements including determining the appropriate repair procedures if required
- Document analytical work in detailed engineering reports demonstrating compliance with regulatory requirements
- Responsible for compilation of the Specifications, CDRL's and Design Review Documentation
- Specify technical requirements and liaise across departments providing clarity as required
- Act as the technical representative in customer design meetings
- Have a working knowledge in all aspects of the analytical process from interpretation of regulatory and specification requirements, load assumptions, boundary conditions, through interpretation of results.
- Work collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with management to ensure business needs are maintained
- Manage duration of assigned tasks independently with consideration of both time and associated cost
- Responsible for ensuring that schedules are met for all deliverables and across all projects
- Support the procurement, manufacturing, testing and warranty cycles
- Travel up to 10%
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering + 4 years of experience; or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, + 2 years of experience;
- Familiarity with 3D CAD software, preferably PTC creo
- Experience in the design and analysis of welded structures subject to static and cyclic loads
- Working knowledge of Finite Element analysis as applicable to structural design
- Knowledge of material science and the applicability with structural analysis
- Qualified applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Familiarity with AutoCAD
- Experience performing FEA analysis on complex structures, preferably with ANSYS Mechanical
- Experience working with structural welding codes including AWS, EN15085, DVS1608 and 1612
- Experience performing structural analysis on bolted connections
Why you'll love working for Siemens:
- Freedom and healthy work-life balance– Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, HSA/FSA, Commuter Benefits – starting Day 1
- Solve the world's most significant problems – Be part of exciting and innovative projects.
- Engaging, challenging, and fast-evolving, pioneering technological environment.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- Please contribute to our social responsibility initiatives passionate about access to education, access to technology, sustaining communities, and positively impacting the community.
- Opportunities to contribute your innovative ideas and get paid for them! Please take advantage of our Tuition Reimbursement program, Mentor Programs, and your development through online learning.
- Employee perks and discounts in addition to our 401k match and generous Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusivity focused – Just named on the Forbes 2022 Best Employers for Diversity list!
Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.