The Siemens Rail Electrification UK business is growing rapidly. To support the continued growth of the team, we are looking to recruit a Senior Design Engineer with Overhead Line Electrification (OLE) experience to lead delivery and innovation on exciting projects. This role would ideally be located out of either our Glasgow or York offices. However, we would consider candidates local to other offices including Birmingham, Coventry, Derby and Chippenham.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior OLE Design Engineer will be responsible to support and deliver consistent, high-quality designs and to safely implement OLE projects. They will be responsible to support the growth of the Siemens OLE business in the UK. This will include the “in-house delivery” of the complete range of OLE design tasks. The Senior Design Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that the quality of designs is to the required standards and that target dates are achieved. This includes product supply, project works, product development and shall be delivered in accordance with Siemens management processes
What will be my responsibilities?
- Direct the preparation of technical details, distribution drawings, estimates and working drawings.
- Undertake the full range of Overhead Line design tasks, including system design, basic design, layout design and allocation design.
- Carry out independent checking of design documents as required.
- Plan and execute detailed site surveys.
- Undertake option development for projects.
- Assist with the production of tenders including providing technical input.
- Maintain technical and safety standards in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Flexible, innovative approach, willing to learn and engage in the implementation of new technologies.
- Contribute to and work within a team of industry-leading engineers in an environment open to challenge and being challenged in pursuit of excellence
- Maintain and develop own professional knowledge and competence.
- Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects.
Assist in the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met.
- Maintain continuous communication with colleagues and customers to ensure coherent design and customer satisfaction.
- Experience of On-Site construction including developing site work packs (Work Package Plans, Method Statements, Task Briefs etc).
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Production of As-built information to support project handback.
- Support problem solving and site engineering when required.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do do I need for this role?
- BSc, BEng or MEng degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
- Significant and relevant experience in design & implementation for all aspects of Overhead Line Electrification Projects, with emphasis on the preparation and checking of designs.
- Experience with OLE software design / modelling tools and CAD / Bentley design systems
- Knowledge of UK overhead line systems in use on Network Rail infrastructure.
- Knowledge and experience with overhead line installation, specific staff competencies, and current UK initiatives.
- Practical experience of the operational requirements of railway construction works.
- Good Knowledge of Network Rail, British and International Standards.
- Understanding of Network Rail GRIP Stages.
- Understanding of the key interfaces between design, construction and commissioning.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements including CDM Regulations.
- A focus on design integration and Safety by Design principles.
- Chartered Engineer Status
- Holder of Personal Track Safety card
- Commercially Aware.
- Develop detailed plans for on-site works including labour and resource requirements, test and commissioning and subcontractor activities.
- Previous experience of coordinating and integrating with project stakeholders including the operator and maintainer.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time