Mode of Employment: Limited; 17,5 hours/week
Use your knowledge as a springboard.
Do you like the sound of finding the smartest solution side by side with professionals and experts? If so, complete your PhD thesis with us. We can help you to combine knowledge, discover connections, and formulate ideas. When you join our team, you will gain an insight into a range of departments and processes. It is a chance like no other to break new ground as we head into the future of electrification, automation, and digitalization. Seize this opportunity today!
Change the future with us.
A digital transformation of the everyday happens globally. This requires access to computation and connectivity everywhere at industrial grade. Thus, non-terrestrial infrastructure like satellites is already targeted to be an integral part of future globally interconnected (e.g., via 5G /6G) systems. Still emerging industrial applications require to go beyond this and bring control and compute capabilities closer to the source of data and action. Empowered by bringing Edge computing to non-terrestrial systems, this introduces new challenges as the compute and application nodes are moving. To fully take advantage of recent technologies at industrial scale an end-to-end co-design of application, communication, control, and computing for volatile scenarios is required.
In this research work, you will:
- Identify and investigate challenges and edge cases like computational and communication handovers
- Research state of art concepts, methods, tools and develop new mechanisms to tackle the identified challenges and to optimize the infrastructure availability, latency, etc. regarding application end-to-end qualities in industrial scenarios
- Elaborate new approaches for industrial grade orchestration and self-organization of application and compute environments in moving Edge infrastructures
- Set up end-to-end quality (e.g., availability, resilience, latency) monitoring in volatile infrastructure setups
- Build a testbed to bring your ideas and approaches to life and for evaluation of representative use cases especially for Edge computing scenarios in space
Your research will be carried out in the context of international research projects with academic and business partners of Siemens. This will give you the additional unique opportunity to directly work and exchange with external scientific experts in your research project. Beyond this we will support you to publish your work, to visit international conferences, to do academic stays at partner institutions, and to develop the ideas you have for the future of industrial systems.
What you need to make real what matters.
- You have a strong drive for achievement, a genuine desire to discover and try out new things, and your curiosity about new technologies outperforms others
- You have sound knowledge of Distributed Systems, Software Architecture and Software Development preferably in the area of Internet of Things, Edge and/or Cloud Computing
- You have advanced knowledge in communication technologies and basic knowledge in AI and machine learning
- You already have an excellent master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Communication Engineering, or a similar field
- You have proven experience and deep knowledge in implementing software in at least two high-level programming language – you love to code
- Due to the international structure of the doctorate, excellent written and verbal English skills are required. German skills would be advantageous
Make your mark in our exciting world at Siemens.
if you wish to find out more about Siemens before applying.
Do you have questions about the application? Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions.
If you have more questions please contact: www.siemens.de/fragenzurbewerbung
if you would like to find out more about jobs & careers at Siemens.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Company: Siemens AG
Experience Level: Early Professional
Full / Part time: Part-time