An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Software Engineer to join our Development team within the Siemens Mobility, Rail Infrastructure, Mobile Communications business in Poole.
Siemens Mobility is pioneering the future of travel. Our purpose is reinventing, refining and revolutionising how people move throughout smarter urban environments and across a more sustainable world. From advanced engineering projects to pushing limits of data and machine learning, we’re changing the global landscape.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
The Mobile Communications business supplies on-board GSM-R equipment and other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the GSM-R cab radio with GPS and LTE connectivity and the GSM-R data radio. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail communications (Future Railway Mobile Communication System), based on 4G and 5G technology, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
Working in a team, following an agile development process, you will design, implement, maintain, improve, test, and support software targeting arm-based devices and cloud-based infrastructure.
You will from time to time provide technical support to other teams including Sales, Projects, Test and Production.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- You will be responsible for complete engineering work package(s), optionally including some team leadership responsibilities. The work package will be defined in terms of budget, timescales and scope. This may include technical management of subcontractors.
- Systems engineering responsibilities including provision of accurate and timely technical and engineering guidance to projects and bids. You will be capable of contributing in a hands-on manner to all phases of an engineering project; including systems analysis and design, implementation, validation and test, and engineering support to site commissioning.
- Support with sales engineering responsibilities, including provision of technical and engineering solutions for bids and tenders and be capable of dealing well with customers and suppliers when required.
- You will have development engineering responsibilities for complex technical development work, including all elements of the product development lifecycle applicable to the product domain.
- Be involved in demonstrations and trials of new products to internal partners and customers.
- You will use your experience to estimate cost and contribute to project planning. You will then be responsible for achieving budgets, timescale, quality and performance targets.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need?
- Degree or Equivalent in a relevant engineering subject area.
- Proven experience of developing C/C++, ideally for embedded
- Experience of, or interest in, Devops practices.
- Knowledge or experience in agile development processes.
- Experience in using and developing for Linux.
- Network communications experience.
- Experience in developing Qt GUI applications for embedded targets.
- Experience with compositors and Wayland.
- Secure coding practices.
- Knowledge of GSM, GSM-R, 4G or 5G.
- Rail industry experience.
Technologies we use
- Git, GitLab
- C, C++, gcc, gdb
- VS Code
- Boost test framework, gcov, QtTest
- Yocto, bitbake
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Does creating the ways a new world moves sound like it requires your skills? How about ensuring we do it with net-zero emissions by 2050? Discover a engineering career combining innovation, sustainability and a rare opportunity to shape society at scale.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation. #LI-SM1, #INSMO
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time