Come join our team of about 380,000 colleagues around the globe and help us create environments that care.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure intelligently connects energy systems, buildings, and industries. We help our customers to thrive, communities to progress and support sustainable development to protect our planet for the next generation.
Electrification and Automation (EA)
Headquartered in Wendell, NC, the Electrification and Automation (EA) Business Unit offers the full range of energy distribution systems and solutions for all markets and through all sales channels. We provide reliable power distribution grids of today while investing into our Future Grids portfolio to create the power distribution grid of the future.
The Commodity Manager will create value by managing all aspects of the supply base within the assigned commodities and drive productivity savings across multiple factories of Electrification & Automation (E&A) Business Unit of Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI). The E&A business offers the complete range of energy distribution systems and solutions for multiple markets through various sales channels. We provide reliable power distribution grids of today while investing into our Photovoltaic portfolio to create the environment friendly & resilient distribution grid of the future.
You will demonstrate sufficient understanding of the global supplier market in order to select the most suitable vendors who are able to deliver high quality products at driven pricing. We will rely on your outstanding strategic actions and negotiation skills to create value with regards to key metrics such as cost productivity, on-time availability, and quality. In this role, you will drive performance with suppliers, collaborate with internal teams and make your mark within a team that is passionate about succeeding and making an impact. You will develop relationships with internal stakeholders and become a valued partner in the sourcing process. You will be capable of managing multiple priorities, deadlines and programs.
This position is based in the Wendell, NC office and reports to the Head of Procurement of Siemens SI E&A business unit as an individual contributor.
* Assigned Commodity: Managed commodities for cost improvement are Instruments Transformers, Insulation material, Insulators & Standoffs, and Plastics etc.
* Supplier Relationship Management: Manage relationship with suppliers of assigned commodities. Relationship includes negotiating pricing, monitoring performance to agreed terms and conditions, and new vendor on boarding when necessary. Collaborate with key suppliers to expand knowledge of category and identify opportunities for improvements resulting in a joint benefit to the company and supplier. Leverage supplier expertise and/or technology in an effort to harness improvements in reducing total costs. Collaborate with global commodity management while optimizing company-wide buying power by reviewing the financial, quality, pricing, on-time delivery, service, and availability level of suppliers.
* Contractual Agreements: Develop and negotiate contractual agreements to provide price protection and supply security in consultation with legal, business and technical functions. Execute requirements per terms of the agreements.
Specification Review: Review project specific product specifications to determine alternate supplier material to introduce enhanced competition. Ability to engage in technical discussions with internal and external partners on assigned commodities. Able to analyze and propose design to cost opportunities and manage through to completion.
* Supplier Quality: Engage suppliers in an effort to provide long term solutions to quality issues. Develop and lead quality agreement negotiations. Provide recommendations specific to the category being sourced. Coordinate cross functional and business discussions to drive continuous improvement opportunities throughout the organization. Monitor quality and delivery performance of key suppliers.
* Risk Management: Develop supplier relationships resulting in optimized supply chain efficiencies and security of supply. Evaluate supplier's capabilities and capacities while implementing plans to ensure adequate supply of goods and services. Negotiate agreements with suppliers that mitigate or spread the overall risk.
Early Supplier Involvement: Implementing the procurement aspects of the Siemens Product Lifecycle Process for new product development as needed. Involve the supply base knowledge at an early stage in order to optimize the quality, manufacturability and cost position on new products.
* Parts Sourcing & Suppliers Setup: For the parts and material belonging to the assigned commodities, conduct eAuctions, send RFQs, receive and analyze proposals, conduct supplier negotiation, selection, and supplier set-up.
• Create planning tools and management reports in conjunction that provide a more systematic and organized approach to planning the procurement functions.
• Ensure purchasing database integrity
• Keep current on developments in area of expertise and company purchasing resources, systems, and procedures.
• Ability to work individually and within a team environment with Product Management, Product Engineering, Operations, Commodity Managers, Buyers, Quality Engineers, Value Engineers, Accounting, Suppliers and other functional departments.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum 5 years Supply Chain experience in mechanical or electrical products business
• Ability to interact with inter and intra departmental personnel, as well as management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint
• Successful track record in negotiating with suppliers
• Demonstrated understanding of entire supply chain and cost drivers
• Demonstrated commercial and contracting skills
• Demonstrated data and financial analysis capability
• Cross functional/organizational project management and facilitation skills (internal and external)
• Demonstrated self-starter
• 5% travel required
• Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
• Experience in SCM systems
• Engineering Degree
• Experience with working in SAP
• Demonstrated knowledge of category management concept or strategic sourcing concepts
• Solid continuous improvement skills
At Siemens, we are committed to an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles and seek to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. Can you see yourself, learning, growing, and succeeding here? If so we'd like to meet you!
We offer flexible vacation time, a matching 401K plan, profit sharing, full health, life, vision and dental benefits.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.