Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signalling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro, and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe, and green railway.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor or Quantity Surveyor to join our operations team within Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure (Electrification), in York. You will be supporting our East Coast Mainline power supply project for our customer Network Rail.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing
As an Assistant / Quantity Surveyor you will provide a dedicated and complete pre and post contract commercial management service, and act as primary interface to customers and stakeholders, for one of our major projects. This is a dynamic role where you will be responsible for all commercial aspects of your contracts reporting directly to the Regional Commercial Manager and have responsibility for budgeting, and cost control through to final account over an extensive and varied work bank.
- Manage and build collaborative relationships with customers and suppliers, monitoring and reporting their performance.
- Ensure that business and delivery team fully understand the requirements and philosophy of the individual contracts being delivered.
- Advise and implement appropriate commercial arrangements to control and forecast costs and value in line with the Siemens requirements.
- Support the projects budget holders so that they can make informed decisions based on transparent cost capture, forecasting and earned value utilising robust commercial management and practices.
- Be accountable for the establishment, maintaining and monitoring of contemporaneous records to provide support any variations.
- Forecast financial/schedule impact assessments for proposed change and carry out cost impact analysis of instructed changes to scope/schedule.
- Negotiate final accounts with clients and suppliers.
- Maintain and assure the project data sets to achieve consistency, accuracy, and alignment.
- Maintain and assure the records and other documentation that relate to the Works in accordance with good commercial practices, standards, and procedures
- Prepare monthly performance reports.
- Support the management of budget and spend profiles continually identifying ways to improve cost performance.
What qualifications, skills and experience you will need
- Degree qualified (Quantity Surveying or Commercial Management degree or similar) or equivalent experience in a relevant field
- Hold or working towards professional qualification (RICS, IACCM or similar) (preferred)
- Strong track record in a high value post contract management environment and position, ideally gained in a similar or related industry e.g. rail, defence, construction, IT etc. (desirable)
- Excellent negotiation skills, coupled with practical experience and an in-depth understanding of the best ways in which to maximize the mutual benefits to be gained from the effective and commercial interpretation of contracts (essential)
- Experience in Alliance contracting (desirable)
- Good customer facing skills (essential)
- Commercially aware and financially astute (essential)
- Good oral and written communication skills (essential)
- Ability to operate effectively within a team environment (essential)
- Experience of working within a project environment (desirable)
- Experience in the commercial delivery of complex programmes of works and/or major projects (desirable)
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens! Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time