Mode of Employment: Limited; 17,5 hours/week
Use your knowledge as a springboard.
Orchestration of workloads has been a topic in the IT world for quite some time. Technologies like Kubernetes are omni-present. But what if it comes to industrial environments, automation devices with real-time constraints, and highly available process control systems? How to deal with application components spread across the cloud-to-edge continuum? Deployment and upgrade scenarios do not work the same in an always on, stateful industrial setting. Controlling (real-time) physical processes requires certain network conditions (e.g. latency, bandwidth), and workloads may need to be placed in local proximity. All this goes along with very specific network configurations in terms of firewalls and security that need to be considered. Separation into autonomous, federated subsystems can be one approach to dealing with some of the challenges mentioned
Change the future with us.
- The goal of this position is to identify the major challenges when applying federated workload orchestration to such industrial use cases, and to research and develop industrial-grade mechanisms and enhanced technology.
- You will elaborate on the industrial use cases and their challenges
- You will create new solutions on potentially different layers: scheduling, networking and communication, runtime environments
- You will investigate the applicability of technology in these areas, e.g., Service Mesh/Sidecars, application layer networking (e.g., Skupper), Kubernetes and different extensions to attach non-native devices/ systems (e.g., Virtual Kubelets, KubeEdge), industrial communication networks (e.g., TSN, 5G campus networks), WebAssembly
- You are open-minded to research deterministic algorithms, heuristics, AI, domain-specific solutions and to apply untypical solution approaches to accomplish the goal
- You will contribute scientific activities to funded projects
What you need to make real what matters.
- You already have a master´s degree (or comparable) in computer science or related disciplines
- You have a good knowledge of container-based environments and some of the above-mentioned technologies
- Ideally, you have experience in industrial environments and their challenges
Make your mark in our exciting world at Siemens.
if you wish to find out more about Siemens before applying.
Do you have questions about the application? Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions.
If you have more questions please contact: www.siemens.de/fragenzurbewerbung
if you would like to find out more about jobs & careers at Siemens.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Company: Siemens AG
Experience Level: Early Professional
Full / Part time: Part-time