Position Title: Test Development Engineer
Location: Peachtree Corners, GA
Siemens Smart Infrastructure Electronics R&D group, in Peachtree Corners, GA, is growing and has several openings in our test team. We are looking for highly driven, entry to mid-level experienced individuals who have interest in the areas of electrical circuit protection, power distribution, and control and monitoring. Technologies being applied to these areas include machine learning, wireless communications, and solid-state switching. The test area is an excellent way to come in and learn our product line and can lead into future growth not only in test, but also in future openings in both hardware and software product design.
These roles will be engaged in the development of software driven production test equipment deployed in manufacturing sites worldwide. These positions will also contribute to existing product manufacturing as well as new product introduction for our emerging intelligent, highly connected product portfolio.
Successful candidates will enjoy working in the lab, directly collaborating with a multi-disciplinary engineering design team consisting of design engineers (hardware, software, mechanical and test) to develop new smart and connected products. These positions will provide test design, development, and manufacturing engineering support from the concept phase to manufacturing of product. Specific applications will include advanced fault detection methodology in next generation protection devices, source and load management, and energy and power quality monitoring.
Successful candidates should have prior knowledge, or interest in, hardware/software integration. Code for automation is developed using National Instruments LabView and Python. Developers will perform data analysis and provide professionally researched design ideas to the development team for future product implementations with test driven development approach. Other responsibilities will include manufacturing support such as embedded programming of product in manufacturing environment, prototype verification in Lab and factory environment, support factory pre-production prototypes build, support the completion of various certifications required for the product (UL, CSA etc.).
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
Do you want to work for a company with innovating technologies? Can you see yourself learning, growing, and succeeding in this exciting position? If so, we'd like to meet you!
- Define and develop test systems hardware and software in the laboratory environment to drive electro-mechanical circuit protection device assemblies and other designed power distribution products under test.
- Acquire, analyze, and evaluate real-time data from various test measurement devices to help evolve better product design and improve design for product validation systems.
- Using LabView or similar automation software languages, develop GUI driven, software/hardware systems to control test equipment, data acquisition systems and similar devices, interfacing with and incorporating a variety of sensors and actuators (pneumatic etc.) for the purpose of validating products in lab environment.
- Perform commissioning and deploying functional test systems for high volume production in manufacturing environment.
- Write and review test design specifications for new product features in subassembly or final assembly design levels for prototypes as well as production ready designs.
- Perform validation studies of test equipment/systems using industry standard statistical analysis methods.
- Follow innovative trends in product test engineering technology in keeping test automation components in products up to date with state-of-art technologies.
- Work closely with all engineering disciplines including electrical hardware, mechanical, software/firmware, project management, verification and validation engineers and quality personnel to verify and validate products.
- Conduct and participate in peer reviews to ensure product quality.
- Ensure quality standards are maintained and help further a process driven environment.
- Interact with internal and external development partners from a multi-cultural, global development team.
- Coordinate with internal and external test labs for successful compliance and certification of products to meet necessary safety or regulation standards (UL, CSA etc.)
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Education:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline is required. Advanced degree (Master’s degree) can be substituted for industry experience.
- Understanding of embedded firmware, source code control systems, test automation scripting, application software and test-driven development processes is required.
- Experience in National Instruments LabView. LabVIEW Associate Developer Certification is a bonus. Familiarity with test hardware such as National Instruments Data Acquisition and other common measurement devices for voltage, optics, position, force etc.
- Understanding of fundamental engineering concepts surrounding electrical systems with ability to incorporate testing strategies and test automation in low voltage (less than 600VAC) systems is required.
- Knowledge of Python or similar test automation including Hardware in Loop is beneficial.
- Knowledge and Experience using MATLAB/SIMULINK is a bonus and converting analytical results into efficient product design.
- Experience working with multiple communication protocols (I2C, SPI, UART etc.) and industry standard security packages for secure firmware and data transfer between communicating devices.
- Experience working with industry standard programmers and debugging environments (JTAG etc.)
- Capability and willingness to travel (1-5%/year) domestically and must have the ability to travel outside of the United States of America.
- Knowledge of product requirements and design documentation tree is desired.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to communicate information effectively.
- Ability to convey ideas and concepts to a wide range of audiences including product management and engineers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment as part of a team.
- Experience with Embedded software design in C/C++ is a plus.
- Produce excellent results with minimal supervision, independently debug, optimize and able to test complex code base.
- Strong analytic and decision-making skills.
- Strong quality orientation and customer focus.
- Familiarity with hardware testing tools and hardware/software integration tools.
- Familiarity with software testing tools such as Unity, SonarQube etc.
- Familiarity with software version control such as GIT, Rational ClearCase etc.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.