Senior Fullstack Software Engineer
Change the future with us.
We are looking for dedicated and talented people who tackle ever-changing challenges, customer needs, and questions from colleagues with clever concepts and creativity. We embrace change and work with curious minds re-inventing the future of work. Join us and let us focus together on what’s truly important: making lives better with new ideas and the latest technology around the world.
Why you’ll love working for Siemens!
- Freedom and a healthy work- life balance– Embrace our flexible work environment with flex hours, telecommuting and digital workspaces.
- Solve the world’s most significant problems – Be part of exciting and innovative projects.
- Engaging, challenging, and fast evolving, cutting edge technological environment.
- Opportunities to advance your career and mentorship programs on a local and global scale.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- Rewarding vacation entitlement with the opportunity to buy and sell your vacation depending on your lifestyle.
- Contribute to our social responsibility initiatives focused on access to education, access to technology and sustaining communities and make a positive impact on the community.
- Participate in our celebrations, social events and offsite business events.
- Opportunities to contribute your innovative ideas and get paid for them!
- Employee perks and discounts.
- Diversity and inclusivity focused.
Siemens is proud to be an eight-time award winner of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers 2018, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People 2020 and Greater Toronto's Top Employers 2021.
Founded in 2012, Comfy | Enlighted is a Siemens-owned business on a mission to connect employees to the people, places, and things they need to do their best work. Our SaaS platform combines building intelligence, space analytics, and a consumer-grade mobile app technology to improve the workplace experience for Fortune 500 companies around the globe. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, our fast-growing team balances the dynamic energy of a small company with the backing of a global powerhouse of Siemens Canada Limited.
We are looking for all levels of Full Stack Engineers to help build the next generation of our smart building products. This is an opportunity to make difference by developing products that make offices, hospitals, factories and warehouse into energy efficient, interactive and efficient spaces in which to work. Come join our startup culture and participate firsthand in designing the future of workspaces.
Having successfully deployed the first generation of our products, we are putting together teams to build the next generation to address a range of IT, OT, and IoT use cases (including real-time location, wayfinding, people counting, room booking, access control, and visitor management); and are exploring ways to leverage machine learning across our product. Simultaneously, we are aggressively growing our user base, with some of our largest-ever deployments currently in flight.
We value clean architecture and modern approaches to software development and testing. Our products consist of cloud-based micro-services and modern web and mobile applications. You will work closely with a tight, agile team that ships features continuously, and you will be able to see the impact of your work on real customers.
We're building systems that integrate IoT, real-time data and web/mobile apps and we’re doing it with a micro-service architecture to facilitate independent scrum teams. As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you’ll be working as part of a scrum team to build cloud micro-services that are resilient, fault-tolerant and performant, while working with other teams to determine how the features and functionality that you add can make our customers happy. In order to do that, you'll need to have technical depth; systems thinking; and the ability to work as part of distributed team. This is the ideal role for someone who wants to be part of a cutting-edge cloud development team while improving the lives of people in buildings all over the world. Join us in Transforming the Everyday!
What will you do?
- First and foremost, you love writing software. Your code is comprehensible, well-structured, highly performant; your best days at work are in front of the computer cranking out code on your own, although you have the experience to know that a winning product requires an entire team.
- You are curious and passionate about knowing “why”, whether it is why a use case is important for a customer, or why something strange happens one time in a hundred tries.
- You love both learning and teaching. In this role, you will be interfacing with design, front-end, back-end, platforms, analytics, as well as our PM and QA teams; towards that end, you enjoy working across teams to solve hard problems.
- Agile development is second nature. Not only will you be expected to participate in daily scrums, sprint planning, and retros; you'll be expected to help improve our ceremonies.
- You strive for quality, and are obsessed with unit tests, automation, and squashing any bugs that sneak through. But it's more than that: you'll use our product, realize "hey! that's not what I expected!" and figure out how to make it better for everyone.
What will you need to succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or other related discipline required
- Deep knowledge of at least one modern programming language (Java and/or Python preferred)
- Expertise in service-oriented architectures; ideally, you've developed APIs for both internal and external-facing services
- You're obsessed with performance, and have experience with instrumentation and monitoring services to ensure the application is behaving as expected
- You have a basic knowledge of computer science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- 5+ years of industry experience developing large-scale applications (Junior and Senior level candidates are also invited to apply!)
- Experience with data processing technologies such as Kafka/Kinesis, Spark, Storm
- Experience with Django, or similar server framework, or with Java microservice frameworks like Spring Boot or Quarkus
- Ability to define, design and deliver a distributed automation platform for compute, storage, database, queuing and other infrastructure
- Understanding of web service development
- Knowledge of multi-tier architectures across multiple technology stacks .net, Java, J2EE, web servers, caching, application servers, RDBMS/NoSQL: Postgres, Dynamo DB
- Experience building complex, scalable, high-performance software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience designing and deploying dynamically scalable, highly available, fault tolerant and reliable cloud applications (AWS preferred)
- Experience with Cordova, Android, iOS development
- Experience working with third-party / IoT integrations
- Experience working with platforms for Big Data or Machine Learning solutions
We share our ideas and champion the people behind them.
For over 110 years, Siemens Canada has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality and reliability. Active across Canada, the company focuses on intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems and on automation and digitalization in the process and manufacturing industries. Siemens brings together the digital and physical worlds to benefit customers and society. Through Mobility, a leading supplier of intelligent mobility solutions for rail and road transport, Siemens is helping to shape Canada’s passenger rail services. Via its majority stake in the publicly listed company Siemens Healthineers, Siemens is also a leading supplier of medical technology and digital health services. In addition, Siemens holds a minority stake in Siemens Energy, a global leader in the transmission and generation of electrical power.
Making a difference together we raised $757,000 towards charitable contributions, support over 23 non-profit organizations and planted 1,100 trees in our local communities. Siemens Canada has 2,500 employees from coast-to-coast and 24 office and production facilities across Canada. Join our team of approximately 293,000 talented professionals in more than 190 countries/regions and help us tackle the most exciting challenges to build a successful future together. So, what are you waiting for? Take your next career step with us.
To learn more about Siemens Canada, visit our website at www.siemens.ca
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Canada Limited
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Sur demande, Siemens Canada prendra des mesures d’accommodement raisonnables pour les personnes handicapées, dans le but de soutenir la participation des candidats dans tous les aspects du processus de recrutement. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.