Based within Siemens Congleton R&D Department
Located at Siemens Power Electronics Innovation Hub - Newport (Wales), UK
Siemens Digital Industries Motion Control (DI MC) has a clear target to be undisputed #1 in our market and we are well on the way to achieving this. Crucial to ensuring continued success is providing our customers with a comprehensive product portfolio that meets their needs. Our R&D departments around the world are focused in helping to achieve this through, our innovation, fast time to market and most importantly our people and culture.
One of the critical portfolio products we design, and manufacture are AC electronics motor controllers known as drives or converters or variable speed drives, with a power range from a few hundred Watts up to 10s of Kilowatts and voltage ranges of 200-690V. These products not only help our customers better control and digitalise their machines, but they can also help improve their carbon footprint and energy efficiency
DI MC hosts the Siemens Innovation Centre for Power Electronics with a global mandate to deliver disruptive motion control solutions to our industrial drives customers and develop future skills & competencies which are critical to our business success today and tomorrow. To further accelerate this, we have recently launched a new initiative referred to as the Siemens Power Electronics Innovation Hub which is co-located within the Compound Semiconductor Applications Catapult (Newport, Wales).
We currently have an exciting opportunity to recruit an innovation programme lead for this exciting new initiative. The successful person will work as part of an international innovation team (UK & Germany) with the responsibility to provide technical leadership and coordination for a portfolio of innovation projects focused at developing the latest range of power electronics, digital technologies and functionality/features which can ultimately be integrated into future industrial drive products
This position will be based at our newly formed Siemens Power Electronics Innovation Hub in Newport (Wales) with regular travel to our Siemens MC site in Congleton and occasional travel to our HQ in Germany and UK partners including universities
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a person who is passionate about innovation and power electronics in the context of drive for electrification, energy savings, digitalization, sustainability & others; natural curiosity to seek out new ways of doing things; be able to articulate project goals based on business or customer requirements; can think creatively and not afraid to try new ideas even if they may be unsuccessful and continuously open to learning and growing as a person and be able to inspire and influence others.
As a minimum you should hold an engineering degree or equivalent and be able to demonstrate your passion for engineering innovation. Being able to show your capability to learn, diversity of thinking and an excellent work ethic, including working in international and intercompany teams are extremely important to be successful in this role
Key Duties Include:
• Driving topics in power electronics such as intelligent power stack hardware development, design simulation & modelling, novel power module packaging & others
• Leading initiatives in the areas of SMART power electronics, software defined functionality, artificial intelligence/machine learning, big data analytics and next generation control platforms
• Knowledge and practical experience of novel innovated power electronics and digital technologies which can bring benefits in functionality or features
• Define project scope and manage costs, liaise with project technical leads, and ensures quality criteria are met
• Maintains project risk management, issue management, intellectual property registers
• Ability to define and communicate project vision, customer value and project status to stakeholders
• Leading multi-partner co-creation projects with universities, research organizations, suppliers, customers, start-ups and leveraging external investment from funding bodies
Skills & Competencies:
• Excellent networker who brings stakeholders and international project teams together
• Curiosity with continuous learning, demonstrate diverse thinking and creative problem solving
• Agility and adaptability with a can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit
• Capability to challenge the status quo and sell your ideas to others
• Not being afraid to fail, but will learn from the experience and try again
• Ability to speak German would be a bonus but is not essential
It’s incredibly important that our people experience a great working environment, and we take pride in having a friendly, helpful, and engaging culture.
We appreciate that development and training is important and that’s why we have a supportive environment which invests in our employee’s growth
This role could be suitable to anyone with a suitable degree qualification and professional experience, who is looking for a unique challenge with the skills and vision to build a better tomorrow for Power Electronics Machines and Drives (PEMD) technologies
If you think you have the capabilities to succeed and believe you can make a real difference to our business and customers, please apply.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens plc
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time