Enlighted is a Siemens-owned business on a mission to connect employees to the people, places, and things they need to do their best work. Our SaaS platform combines building intelligence, space analytics, and a consumer-grade mobile app technology to improve the workplace experience for Fortune 500 companies around the globe. Headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, our fast-growing team balances the dynamic energy of a small company with the backing of a global powerhouse.
The IoT engineering group is composed of several global teams who work together across hardware, firmware, manufacturing, software, and integrations to produce products and services for smart buildings in many customer verticals. These solutions include our industry-leading software-defined lighting solution (Enlighted), space occupancy / utilisation data, real-time indoor location tracking, wayfinding, etc.
Our embedded software group is responsible for designing, implementing, and delivering firmware deployed to a wide array of devices including our industry-leading smart lighting control sensors, gateways, and edge computing device. Our sensors combine small form-factor, advanced wireless networking, and sensing capabilities. Acting as the heart of our IoT platform, they empower buildings with real-time environmental telemetry, asset tracking and tremendous energy cost reduction while ensuring occupants safety and comfort. The sensor network is supported by our gateway and edge computing device facilitating driving our sensor network data to the cloud and satisfying low latency real-time data processing needs of our customers respectively.
The embedded software team continuously strives for excellence and is very agile in nature to tackle the challenges of building new features or to support our existing deployments spanning 410+ million square feet of commercial real estate globally.What You Will Do
As the Senior Technical Manager of Embedded Software within the Enlighted IoT group, you will:
- Work with product management team to develop the technology roadmap for our devices.
- Participate in shaping and architecting device firmware components.
- Own the firmware agile development process and ensure team efficiency building scalable, reliable, and highly re-usable firmware
- Hire, onboard and manage a distributed team of Firmware and Software Developers.
- Use agile methodology values, principles, and practices to plan, manage, and deliver solutions. Drive team development charters following agile values, principles, and practices.
- Participate in tier 3 level technical support for customer escalations.
- Provide technical guidance to the firmware development team members
- Build and execute firmware release plans
- Track firmware team progress and provide support to the team
- Ensure firmware quality through building continuous integration pipelines in collaboration with DevOps and test automation teams
- Work with the various product development teams to create requirements that will ensure successful integration to the BRI IoT system.
- Develop system testing methodologies with a focus on automation and continuous integration.
- Create and execute test plans that effectively and efficiently verify the performance of our IoT network across a variety of use cases and deployment schemes.
- Consult with stakeholders in our customer organisation (field services, customer success, support, etc.) to better understand how our system is being used and performing in the field and incorporate that feedback into the continuous integration tests performed by the team.
- Use your knowledge of our IoT network to diagnose issues related to integrating new hardware and software.
- Reproduce customer-reported issues and analyse RMAs. Make recommendations for further engineering analysis or development.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline (e.g. Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, System Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience leading firmware/software development team.
- Proven track record leading happy, productive teams to deliver high quality product in fast paced environments. Experience working with distributed teams.
- Deep experience working with devices connecting over wired and wireless networking protocols (ethernet, Zigbee, Bluetooth, WiFi) and transport/application data protocols (HTTP, MQTT, WebSockets, etc.).
- Working knowledge of common device and network security topics (symmetric and asymmetric encryption schemes, SSL/TLS, secure boot, user authentication and authorisation workflows, etc.)
- Proven ability to develop requirements and test plans for component interactions.
- Comfortable programming in at least one language (Python, Java, C/C++/C#, Bash scripting, etc.) and willing to learn additional skills to develop internal tools and automations.
- Experience working in an IoT and/or SaaS business with many hardware and software components distributed across a variety of environments and with varied deployment types.
- Have developed automated continuous integration tests for hardware and software components.
- Formal software and/or hardware engineering experience is a substantial asset to help the team develop internal tools and automations for continuous integration testing of our IoT system.
- Linux command line and administration experience is very helpful for accessing and configuring our devices and services.
We share our ideas and champion the people behind them.
For over 110 years, Siemens Canada has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality and reliability. Active across Canada, the company focuses on intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems and on automation and digitalization in the process and manufacturing industries. Siemens brings together the digital and physical worlds to benefit customers and society. Through Mobility, a leading supplier of intelligent mobility solutions for rail and road transport, Siemens is helping to shape Canada’s passenger rail services. Via its majority stake in the publicly listed company Siemens Healthineers, Siemens is also a leading supplier of medical technology and digital health services. In addition, Siemens holds a minority stake in Siemens Energy, a global leader in the transmission and generation of electrical power.
Making a difference together we raised $757,000 towards charitable contributions, support over 23 non-profit organizations and planted 1,100 trees in our local communities. Siemens Canada has 2,500 employees from coast-to-coast and 24 office and production facilities across Canada. Join our team of approximately 293,000 talented professionals in more than 190 countries/regions and help us tackle the most exciting challenges to build a successful future together. So, what are you waiting for? Take your next career step with us.
To learn more about Siemens Canada, visit our website at www.siemens.ca
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Canada Limited
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Sur demande, Siemens Canada prendra des mesures d’accommodement raisonnables pour les personnes handicapées, dans le but de soutenir la participation des candidats dans tous les aspects du processus de recrutement. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.