The Distributed Control System (DCS) Engineer in Training (EIT) is responsible for completing rotations within the Automation and Engineering (AE) business segment to include project engineering, technical marketing, technical proposal development, and technical support. After multiple rotations during approximately a one-year period the EIT will be assigned as a project engineer, Project engineers support the design and implementation of complex Distributed Control System (DCS) solutions that integrate process automation hardware and software for customers in the chemical, food/beverage, and pharmaceutical industries. In some cases—due to individual interest and business needs—the EIT could be assigned as a proposal engineer, technical marketing engineer, or sales engineer after completing the rotations.
- Works in close cooperation with project managers and technical contacts of the customer to apply fundamental engineering concepts, practices, and procedures to complete assigned tasks within quality and budget requirements
- Provides technical input in the design, implementation, and test phases of DCS projects as part of a project team
- Participates in complex technical clarifications and knowledge transfers during projects
- Continuously improves engineering skills and productivity to achieve project cost reductions and improve customer satisfaction
- Reports to the Solutions Engineering Manager within the Automation & Engineering (AE) business segment
- Contributes to the success of Automation Projects by executing engineering tasks within budget, schedule, and quality requirements
- Develops DCS applications, based on customer requirements, using bulk engineering and design tools for automation projects including greenfield applications, legacy control system modernizations, and system expansions
- Identifies, and documents requirements using P&IDs, process descriptions and or existing logic
- Creates test specifications, simulations, and performs software/hardware tests demonstrating compliance with customer requirements
- Participates in system installation and commissioning activities on site
- Provides engineering estimates to support the calculation of proposals for projects and services
- Maintains a high level of standardization within the design, and execution of applications
- Develops advanced skills to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently
- Identifies areas of risk and takes appropriate steps to mitigate in difficult or complex situations
- Strong commitment to the team and takes ownership of the success of projects
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BA/BS in relevant discipline or advanced degree
- Ability to learn and apply new technology and innovate engineering procedures
- Demonstrates and applies basic knowledge of engineering concepts, practices, and procedures towards the successful completion of complex assignments
- Displays a high level of analytical thinking and brings successful resolution to complex and/or cross-functional problems
- Travel requirements will be a function of assigned projects and will likely range from periods of light travel (5-10%) to periods of higher travel (50%).
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Basic understanding of control theory, PLCs, and/or DCS systems
- Software and/or programming experience
- Preferred education BSCS, BSEE, BSME or BSCE
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.