An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Office Manager to join a new Central Hub at Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure and to be part of the flag ship East Coast Digital Programme. This involves deploying state of the art European Train Control System technology on the East Coast Mainline, creating the next generation railway. The Depot will be opening in mid-2023 so we will need someone who can assist with the transition of works to the new site, liaising with different departments at Siemens to get the day-to-day running and into the operational phase.
As the Office Manager at the new flagship East Coast Digital Programme Depot in Bedford you will be responsible for organising and coordinating a range of office operations in a busy setting. This role demands developed communication and interpersonal skills as you will collaborate with teams across the business; you will have authority for budgetary control and delegated sign off; the requirement to work autonomously managing your own workload and that of Reception and Office Assistant roles.
What will be my responsibilities?
- Serve as the ‘Go-To’ person for Depot enquiries, guidance, and day-to-day running of tasks including ordering office supplies and invoicing.
- Managing a busy and varied office setting within the depot, ensuring the smooth running of booking office meeting rooms for staff on site and senior stakeholder visits.
- Owning the booking system for EV charging points for electric vehicles coming to site.
- Organising staff meetings and core briefings; researching and contributing data to these events.
- Liaise with Siemens Real Estate and their appointed sub-contractors to ensure the office meets all legal and auditable requirements (e.g. monthly electoral/water tests, fire alarms, security, TV License, insurances, hazardous waste, WEEE etc.) ensuring successful audits. Resolving and corrective actions if applicable to uphold high quality of site maintenance.
- Appointed Official Siemens PKI Agent.
- Take lead role in safety issues, chairing regular SLT3 meetings (6 per annum), reporting on findings and escalating issues to SLT2/SLT1 as in line with organisational policies. Member of SLT2 meetings.
- Organise regular PAT testing of all equipment and maintain records for audits.
- Undertake regular audits to check on office cleaning standards. Liaising regularly with cleaning contractors to ensure a high level of cleanliness is upheld in the depot. Undertake regular checks on pest control, ensuring infestation levels are eradicated or reduced. Meet with Council Health Representatives as appropriate (normally twice per year).
- Manage all facilities services within the office, overseeing and checking the work of tradespersons/contractors. Manage contractors working on site e.g. building/office refurbishment and other major changes ensuring all safety measures are in place. Maintain office efficiency by planning and implementing office systems, layouts, and equipment procurement.
- Organise and coordinate Fire Drills. Set dates to meet legal requirements and evacuation drills. Meet with local Official Fire Officers to discuss evacuation and improvement actions. Contribute to the Depot Fire Report. Act as a Chief Fire Warden for the Depot.
- Attend Landlords; and Managing Agents meetings regularly, contributing to any decisions and decisions about the Depot site, security issues, etc. Manage Service Charge account. Liaise with Managing Agents for Depot building repairs and health and safety issues within communal areas.
- Be point of contact for out-of-hours works issues and any works required to maintain the premises of the Depot.
- Archive Facility, define and write up procedures and processes for regional record retention, ensuring protection and security of files and records.
ADMINISTRATION AND TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Line management of Assistants and Receptionists; ensuring staff resources are deployed efficiently and effectively. Checking that work is recorded against correct project and overhead codings. Undertake periodic quality checks as necessary.
- Responsible for recruitment, dismissal, setting targets/goals and appraisals. Perform regular 1-2-1 meetings and putting in place improvement plans with defined timescales if performance is failing.
- Promote staff development and training.
- DSEasy, procure specialist equipment as necessary
- Oversee and coordinate Work Experience Placements, includes liaison visits from school/college personnel. Ensure that all certification is obtained prior to commencement. Liaise with other functional managers to secure a suitable placement within the office.
- Research, compile and write reports/presentations for senior management. Compile and write Business Plans for Capex and other equipment/items for the office and submitting to finance and procurement when final organisational approval is received.
- Suggestions Resolution Box; taking issues raised to local management team meetings for discussion and organise resolution of items raised.
- Compile office-wide rota for monthly safety tours of the office, liaising with EHS managers when appropriate. Undertake Stop & Talk (if applicable) and report findings.
What do I need to qualify for this opportunity?
- At least three years’ proven experience of working in a similar role.
- Proven experience of managing and supervising a team (appraisal/performance of results). Team building skills. Be able to be direct, monitor and supervise staff, leading a team.
- Confident, able to use initiative and to deal with sensitive and complex situations.
- Advanced management understanding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (faced with constant interruptions with need to meet deadlines).
- Be able to make solid professional judgements.
- Very effective organisational and written communication skills. Excellent language and grammar skills.
- Computer skills – spreadsheet and word processing at a highly proficient and advanced level.
- Capable of prioritising workload of self (and of team members).
- Stress, time management and health & safety skills
- Equality & diversity awareness.
- Knowledge of the Railway/Construction Industry preferrable
- Compliance with ethical and anti-bribery policies
Our team and what we do
As market leaders across rail, road, and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility.
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signalling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro, and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe, and green railway.
The Digital Rail business focuses on deploying new technology across the UK rail industry through its research and development and multiple engineering departments. Siemens offers you mature, proven systems and products for individual applications as well as a scalable portfolio of lineside, on-board, and communication equipment. Ensuring that you are ready for what the future will bring.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Does creating the ways a new world moves sound like it requires your skills? How about ensuring we do it with net-zero emissions by 2050? Discover a engineering career combining innovation, sustainability and a rare opportunity to shape society at scale.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time