Siemens Mobility provides efficient and coordinated transportation of people and goods by rail – including rolling stock, rail automation, rail electrification, and service. We craft and manufacture across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. Cities and Railroads also rely on us to provide traction-power substations and electricity transmission, as well as signaling and control technology for freight and passenger rail and transit systems.
Our Field Service Engineer will work in an experienced team and exciting environment on next-generation metro propulsion systems and traction drives that are delivered from Siemens to the rail car OEM in Chicago. The Field Service group is working closely together with our customers, all Siemens Mobility Departments worldwide, and our Field Service Teams on Site. The main goal of the Field Service Engineer is to work with our complete Siemens team to achieve high customer satisfaction and a reliable product by coordinating the commissioning and warranty activities in the Chicago area for this contract.
If you are motivated, eager to learn about new technologies, and are a team player this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Develop an expert role in commissioning & Field Service of propulsion systems and traction drives
- Perform, with the use of mechanical drawings, schematics, and location circuit plans, electrical and mechanical repairs of various components.
- Diagnose electrical malfunctions in metro propulsion control circuits and components, assess the nature of problems, and identify corrective action needed.
- Assist customers with issues on propulsion unit and traction drive installations
- Assist customers in static and multifaceted commissioning activities on the regular series production metro vehicles
- Perform Field Modification work as necessary.
- Debug propulsion software (similar to PLC) using a command line interface
- Respond to field service calls for all commissioning and warranty issues
- Collaborate with Siemens Engineering to drive improvements
- Contribute and communicate technical feedback to Engineering to drive optimal reliability and maintainability of the product.
- Read, interpret, and understand written or electronic information, maintain the information, and compile reports.
- Develop detailed technical testing plans for upcoming projects and build detailed test reports for system qualification during the commissioning process.
Develop commissioning schedules and supervise progress against schedule
Identify and drive the purchase of equipment and tooling required for commissioning.
- Contribute and communicate technical feedback to Engineering to drive efficient reliability and maintainability of the product.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Strong skills in reading electrical schematics.
- At least five years of successful experience in the area of responsibility and successful demonstration of above
- Sophisticated field service experience.
- Ability to work across multiple systems and develop strengths you'll need beyond the engineering field of study.
- Willingness to take a “hands-on” approach to commissioning.
- Ability to learn new software programs in a continuously evolving environment.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in electrical engineering.
- Experience in rail industry projects
VR or DMV check needs to be run to ensure that the worker has a valid driver's license
Why you'll love working for Siemens:
- Freedom and healthy work-life balance– Health, Dental, Vision Insurance, HSA/FSA, Commuter Benefits – starting Day 1
- Solve the world's most significant problems – Be part of exciting and innovative projects.
- Engaging, challenging, and fast-evolving, pioneering technological environment.
- Competitive total rewards package.
- Please contribute to our social responsibility initiatives passionate about access to education, access to technology, sustaining communities, and positively impacting the community.
- Opportunities to contribute your innovative ideas and get paid for them! Please take advantage of our Tuition Reimbursement program, Mentor Programs, and your development through online learning.
- Employee perks and discounts in addition to our 401k match and generous Paid Time Off
- Diversity and inclusivity focused – Just named on the Forbes 2022 Best Employers for Diversity list!
While we appreciate all applications, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.