Digital Services Energy Engineer I & II (DSE) - THIS POSITION IS BASED IN AUSTIN, TX AND IS A HYBRID POSITION WITH A BLEND OF REMOTE & OFFICE WORK
The Digital Services Energy Engineer (DSE) assembles customer HVAC assets in Siemens cloud analytics software to enable ongoing Fault Detection & Diagnostics (FDD) analysis. During lifecycle, the DSE monitors HVAC equipment performance and either reports findings to the customer or coordinates with remote or onsite automation and/or mechanical specialists to resolve the faults identified at the customer’s building.
This role is part of the Data Driven Services group in Siemens Smart Infrastructure Digital Service Center (DSC). Our goal is to turn building data into intelligence that yield building owners and service teams with informed recommendations to improve building performance. We strive to reduce energy usage and improve HVAC equipment and system reliability. In this role you will help ensure that buildings run the way they were designed or update control methodologies to improve operation and maximize energy efficiency. You will have the opportunity to work with teams across the US and Canada to optimize building performance across a wide range of building types and industries.
The DSC is headquartered in Austin, Texas and applicants will be asked to relocate to Austin, as needed, to participate in our hybrid work schedule. Local team members are expected to be in the office 2 days a week. We often host global and national business leaders and teams, so you will have the ability to network and collaborate with various Siemens employees. Our team is constantly growing due to an expanding presence in our market. We are looking for new hires in one of two DSE levels based on certifications and years of experience.
- S. in Mechanical Engineering or applicable technical degree
- Level I: Engineer in Training (EIT) required
- Level II: CEM & Engineer in Training (EIT) or PE License preferred
- Level I: 2 - 4 years of energy management or HVAC systems / controls design experience
- Level II: 4+ years of energy management or HVAC systems / controls design experience
- Effective communication skills to speak with building engineers, maintenance personnel, and/or C-level executives
- Where permitted by applicable law, Siemens may require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 based on job requirements, and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons
- Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization
- Knowledge of facility and maintenance operations, maintenance best practices, and HVAC energy efficiency measures
- Experience with building retro-commissioning, building modeling programs or spreadsheet energy analyses
- Familiarity with data logging equipment and building automation systems trending
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and software
- Able to adjust communication style to work with a variety of roles and interested parties
- Confidence presenting recommendations and reports to internal and external stakeholders (~1-2 presentations a week)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite programs, high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Understand components and operation methods of Air Handling Units, Water and Air-cooled Chillers, Cooling Towers, Boilers, Pumps, and Air/Water Distribution systems. Including physical and programmed components.
- Identify faults and root cause to suggest control changes to improve building operational and energy efficiency
- Become a subject matter expert of Facility Improvement Measures (FIMs) for HVAC systems
- Compile customer facing reports and list of action items for operational improvements
- Estimate energy and operational cost savings associated with identified faults and/or operational improvements
- Study customer building management system (BMS) and mechanical design documents to select data points for analysis and to understand the existing operational intent.
- Select rules to be applied for FDD, considering the relationship and interdependency of multiple building systems and their equipment.
- Develop project structure and equipment parent/child relationships
- Consult in the development of digital service offerings (feasibility, workflow, software, reporting structure, cost estimates etc.)
- Collaborate with software development teams to discuss workflow and software product requirements
- Contribute to rule development and improved data analysis strategies
- Lead customer report presentations via Teams (video & screenshare)
- Familiarity with HVAC system and building controls. Knowledge of common HVAC and electrical building codes
- Ability to read and understand design documentation (drawings, sequences of operation, schedules etc.)
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Manages deliverable deadlines independently
- Ability to remain organized while meeting expectations for numerous projects at once
- Dresses professionally when necessary and comfortable working in a collaborative office environment
- Proficiency in French language is a desirable quality, but not required
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.